Mackie

"Opening" a BeyerDynamic DT880 cans

Updated with pictures and a new finding on the tweaking department..........as promised! kicking.gif

the x series look very nice on top of your cd player!

some questions:

tweaks placed on top on equipment affects the sound too?

Where do you get those headphone hangers in the first pic?

Sweet!

Won't the close proximity of the X can's PSU to the CDP cause any humming?

nice picture mackie!

but I bet you won't be listening to your dt880 very much since you've already got a fantastic speaker system? happy.gif

Very nice pictures taken, Mackie. Just my 3 cents' worth of ideas :

- a good set ceramic cones (such as black diamond racing but remember to use 3 but not 4) as add-on support may provide a better definition of the soundstage or soundfield.

- so far i never place anything on top of or even near a CDP, as any vibration or EMF generated would degrade the sound quality of the player.

- Power supplies have much negative effects on the signals output from CDP and DAC. So i always hide them far away from the source equipment and the interconnect as well.

- when you want almost perfect shield from vibration coming thru' the foot of CDP / ceramic cones, try using the magnetic levitation isolation platform :

S.A.P. Relaxa 1

But please be forewarned that it is not cheap but could be additive. yes.gifwink.gif

small correction : "addictive", not "additive", although the total cost of improving the sound would add-up to quite a significant no. wink.gif

the x series look very nice on top of your cd player!

some questions:

tweaks placed on top on equipment affects the sound too?

Where do you get those headphone hangers in the first pic?

Lots of queries to attend to, here goes:

evil-zen: Chassis resonates and more so as internal transformer vibrate and add to resonance. Thus, the cones will help but to a lesser degree than on the cans.

Aiyah...it's not a headphone hanger. That's my floor-standing lamp with halogen bulbs. The extension where the cans hangs is the reading light. laugh.gif

Sweet!

Won't the close proximity of the X can's PSU to the CDP cause any humming?

N@Z: No humming is apparent as I've carefully isolated the analogue interconnects from digital cable and power cords. A small thing to note is a sheet of non-slip mat I've placed on top of the Mission Isoplat. This also helps to offer a wee bit of isolation but major purpose is to prevent the X-components from slipping on their cylindrical feet.

nice picture mackie!

but I bet you won't be listening to your dt880 very much since you've already got a fantastic speaker system? happy.gif

Guyferd: I prefer to listen to cans on weekdays after work while my speakers setup take centre-stage on weekends. So utilization is much more than what U perceive. headphone.gif

Very nice pictures taken, Mackie. Just my 3 cents' worth of ideas :

- a good set ceramic cones (such as black diamond racing but remember to use 3 but not 4) as add-on support may provide a better definition of the soundstage or soundfield.

-  so far i never place anything on top of or even near a CDP, as any vibration or EMF generated would degrade the sound quality of the player.

-  Power supplies have much negative effects on the signals output from CDP and DAC. So i always hide them far away from the source equipment and the interconnect as well.

- when you want almost perfect shield from vibration coming thru' the foot of CDP / ceramic cones, try using the magnetic levitation isolation platform :

S.A.P.   Relaxa 1

But please be forewarned that it is not cheap but could be additive. yes.gif  wink.gif

tee: Thanks for your input.

My PD9700 cdp sits atop 3 x BDR type 4 cones (one front/2 back config) and the Mission Isoplat is separated by 3 x Soundcare Superspikes. Unless I shoot from a lower angle, these would not be apparent. On cones, I've come full circle and put my utmost confidence on the Goldmund cones employed in the main system. They are the best I've used so far, my opinion of course.

The DT880 has a rather short cable and to avert using the 5-m extension cord, I've to locate the cans system near to my reading spot. I've tried locating the X-components away but cord tension tightens. Aesthetically, it didn't look nice and hence the present choice of location to make it look like a cosy corner for cans whereas the rest of the room is occupied with speakers setup, LP, DVD and CDs shelves. I have a rather small room....sigh. Sonically, there's no obvious detriment in the current arrangement that I can pick up but maybe my guidelines for cans are much lower than the speakers system. This has been omitted but I've loaded the digital output of the DAC (yes, MF X-24K does have a digital output for further processing) with a DIY rca plug soldered with a resistor emulating the impedance of a coaxial cable to reduce/eradicate RFI.

Edited by Mackie

Hi Mackie,

Glad to know your careful attention to RFI and vibration control. Oh one last thing, i bet your plug from X-PSU does not share with that of Pioneer CDP to avoid noise contamination at power source. Have you tried the Quiet Line plug-in filter ? wink.gif

Hi tee,

Source and amp are plugged into 2 different AC outlets. I use AudioPrism Foundation power conditioners in my main system but only for sources and pre-amp. It kills the dynamics of my power amp and hence, it is connected straight into another outlet.

I'm not employing any filters in my cans system though.

IMO, I advocate power conditioners/filters on gears which draw lesser current as the noise floor is significantly lower esp sources. But I don't recommend these for use with a power amp.....especially those that consumes a lot of current for dynamics are substantially reduced. Of course, such findings may or may not be apparent in other systems.

Edited by Mackie

Yes Mackie, your points are well taken. I learnt from my friends that for power amps, you could use PS Audio's Power Plant of model P600 and upwards to regenerate clean power waves. I am waiting for my turn to try a used one .....one day. wink.gif

Tee, U can always request a home trial from Kingsley. They are receptive to this request. Seek Mikhail for he's very friendly.

Tee, U can always request a home trial from Kingsley. They are receptive to this request. Seek Mikhail for he's very friendly.

mackie, you think they'll be receptive to a home trial for their Stax setups?