Northern Oak

my new source!

Thanks to Mackie's recommendation, I bought the Marantz CD17MkIII last night at KEC. Like an overexcited child, I got home and fix it up right away. Here'smy first impressions of the sound just after an hour's burn-in:

My Rig : Marantz CD17MkIII -> Ecosse "The Composer" MkII ICs -> (X-PSU + Tube-rolled X-Can V2) -> AKG K501

Build: Slightly hefty, coming in at 17.2 lbs (or about 7-8kg), never felt filmsy at all. It came in a sliver finish with blue lcd screen (dimmer-able). However, the design of the top of the casing is left wanting as it seem like a patchup work. However, the top lid felt solid enough. Transport is quieter than the Marantz CD6000 OSE LE. The weight is well-distributed across the entire body so there isn't any signficant weight imbalance.

Remote: The remote is in a sliver metal top finish with a dull blue-ish green plastic finish on its bottom and it measures at a total length of approximately 30cm. (That is certainly long in Asian standards). The top 2/3 of the remote came with metallic ball-topped buttons with the bottom 1/3 had the usual sliver-coloured rubbery buttons.

Sound:

Bass : A slightly stronger and tighter bass but I guess it's not fair to judge since the AKG K501 never faired well in this area.

Midirange: Clarity was the number 1 difference I felt as compared to my portable CDP and MD player. The number 2 was the transparency that the player has brought upon to the music. Warmth was added to the music which makes it more soothing. Depth was higly noticeable. Although the soundstage of the K501 is very wide, (which would affect the imaging and postioning), the positioning was much better than expected. Now, you can hear what's just right next to you, what's further right to you, what forward and what's further back.

Treble: There's an extension to the treble, which I felt gave a better atmosphere. The clarity in the highs were very noticeable as well.

Overall: All these must be taken with a pinch of salt as the reference player is my damn old lousy Sony portable CDP but the music did improved by leaps and bounds. This is one CDP that will stand to the test of time, sonically (and physically I hope). However, there is a slight brightness which I want to get rid of but not sure if burn-in would help or not?

Test CDs: Hybrid SACD Teresa Teng (Title unknown), XRCD2 Digital K2 Huan Hong Ying "First Taste of Loneliness", Denon Hi-Fi Strings, Eva Cassidy "Live at the Blue Alleys", Chesky Records "The Ulitmate Test (???can't remember) Disc", Chen Jieling (Title unknown), Premium Music "Best Audiophile Vocals/Voices".

Edited by Northern Oak

The brightness should go away after about 72 - 150 hours. However you do have the X-Cans and that is one bright sounding amp but since you didn't find the system bright with the Sony my take is the Marantz just needs burnin.

It's a good CDP - I listened to the MKII and it's a nice, warm, full sounding CDP.

wow what a big upgrade! hmmm marantz. warm with strong bass sounds like a perfect match with the 501s. congrats

Sorry for your wallet!!

The brightness should go away after about 72 - 150 hours. However you do have the X-Cans and that is one bright sounding amp but since you didn't find the system bright with the Sony my take is the Marantz just needs burnin.

It's a good CDP - I listened to the MKII and it's a nice, warm, full sounding CDP.

I actually tube-rolled the X-Can V2 with a pair of Mullard CV2492. Got rid of the brightness and the music was smoother.

Mullards then to have what some call mid-range magic.

1K is a good price for the CD-17 I think the 6000 OSE KI is about the same price right?

Congrats on the new purchase N. Oak! U've just skipped the budget and into the mid-high end with this new purchase. The brightness U're experiencing now is existant in most cdps before a full run-in is achieved. I recommend spinning a cd on repeat mode for a few days non-stop before crucial listening is done.

After which when U're familar with the sound, try out the RCA plug and the wooden cones (1 atop the transformer and the other towards the centre-forward). I forsee better imaging/control/soundstaging, a fuller mid range and lower noise floor. This cdp will become a foundation if a speakers setup is forthcoming.

I reckon the X-cans V2 is capable of accomodating this upgrade and if more monies were to be spent, a new pair of cans like the DT880 will be perfect; but not for now - my advice. In the interim, I can let U try out the cones and plug tweaks before commiting a purchase. I reckon a full course will cost U about $95 (2 sets of cones and plug). Let me know if I could help.

Edited by Mackie

The 6000ose KI (showroom set) at KEC was sold at $419. A new set should cost less than a grand as the new CD17 MKIII is being sold at a much lower price than the initial launch of MKII. On redbook playback, most favoured the MKIII over the Marantz SA-8260 (approx $1200-1300). The latter is a SACD player.

Edited by Mackie

Rameish: Sorry, don't know about the price of the KI but I guess it should be less than 1K. Heard that the CDMkIII KI would be around S$1500, about S$400 increase so if I inter-polate from here, the 6000OSE KI should be around S$800-900 range.

Mackie: I agree that a burn-in is necessary to get rid of that brightness. Burn-in already in progress. Would definitely need yor help with the plugs but I'm rather confirmed on the cones. I like that kind of focused imaging so I'm planning to go down this week to get it. The first 2 cones will go to my AKG for sure. As for the DT880, I will wait a while cause the Euros are rather high now.

Edited by Northern Oak