Sign in to follow this  
yongchris

Power Cables

Hear me out.

This is NOT a DBT test.

I just had an interesting idea to see if there are really any perceptible differences in power cables, scientifically. Dunno if it'll work, but it's worth a test, just for the fun of it.

I'm gonna try it at home, and you can too.

Using MadOnion's 3dmark, I'll run the benchmark using the various power cables at home, hook it up to the PC and tabulate the scores.

Though, I don't have any expensive cables in my stable. I wonder if those of you PC(personal computer AND power cable) affecionados with good cables would get obvious variances in the benchmark scores.

Think this'll be a fun experiment.

Chris

my cables :

stock cable that came with PS

belden 80803 with wattgate and duraplug(3 runs, 1m, 1.5m, 2m)

afa ares (my first "aftermarket" cable)

If you do find a diff in your computer performance, suggest you help the guys over at echoloft where there're some heated exchange on power cords.

ltfoo,

IT is exactly why I posted this test, cos of the big "arguement" over in echoloft.

I guess my post has been misunderstood.

It's meant as a fun thing to experiment, NOT a serious issue.

Jason,

I think you misinterpreted me. Why would I want to upgrade my interconnects when I don't even want to upgrade my power cables.

Ok, In light of the miscommunications, I'll write a point by point instruction set of my experiment.

1. Line up all your power cables that you own.

2. Shut down Computer. Plug in aftermarket power cable no. 1.

3. Boot up Computer, run MadOnion 3Dmark, take score.

4. Shut down computer, plug in aftermarket power cable no. 2.

5. Boot up Computer, run MadOnion 3Dmark, take score.

...and so on for all your cables.

Is there a obvious scoring difference when you use the stock computer cable? as compared to a $60 belden or a $500/1000 thingamajig?

Chris.

btw, this is meant as a fun take towards cable comparisons, so if you don't get it, oh well.

I've also read in some online magazines that they can actually SEE a difference in the computer monitor when they plug in a hyperexpensive powercable for running in.

there SHOULD be a difference..

afterall if we can hear the diff in the sound.. we should be able to SEE the difference. Unless have some eyes problem lol.giflol.gif

I am all for the test. Let us know how is the various scores compared wink.gif

Hey if it generates a negative result its good.

If its positive result in benchmarking, then crazy overclockers like those who use liquid nitrogen cooling to hit limited will stock up some power cables at home just to break records. That means demands increases, and power cable prices will rocket sky-high. Bad!