FKL

[help]compare er4 vs e2c and er6 vs e2c

i want to buy a good earphone, now focusing on er4 er6 and e2c. er4 is almost double price of other two, is it worthy for that high prise. btw, i love classical music and dun like songs........

any friends can tell me where i can try these three earphone and where i can buy it in singapore? also, how about the prise of these three earphones?

THANKS!

Might I suggest you take a gander at the Local Headphone Prices thread to give you some idea of the cost & where they are available locally. The ear canal phones you mentioned are also available online from Headroom & Todd the Vinyl Junkie (US based) amongst others.

the e2c is more of a 'fun' sound. bassy and not that transparent. the ety er6 is more transparent. i guess the ety would suit your music better. smile.gif

fit is paramount for these type of phones

shure offer different sizes of eartips

but etys's sound should suit classical if u can get good fit

Never tried othe other canal phones, but I like my Ety ER4S very much. Although expensive for a tiny phone, the etys should last you a long time. I had mine for around 5 years now and they still hardly show any signs of wear. Of course you'll have to clean the tips regularly and change the filters. But the Etys come with plenty of spare tips and filters to last you years. Cleaning your ears regularly also helps too.

A word of caution, some people do find these phones painful to wear. For the first 2 weeks or so, the Etys' flang tips hurt the flesh of my inner ear when I wear them for longer than an hour. But, my ears got used to them and I could wear the phones for much longer now.

The ER4 are quite clean sounding thanks to their excellent isolation. Some people complain that the Etys are too clinical sounding. I think that's partially due to the lack of tactile effect. Unlike large circumaural or supraural phones that gives you hear the music entering your ear, the Etys sounds as if the music coming from inside your head. Whether that's good or bad is a matter of personal preference.

Edited by Ticky

E2c are not the choice for classical,the lack of highs make them kinda muffled from what i hear,in the other hand,E2c are pretty nice portable rockers,hey,what else can you expect from $79?

Etys are fantastic for classical, as well as other genres of music.

If you're buying them brand new, please buy from headroom or todd as they have return policies, and not from hung brothers(goods sold are not refundable). This is because it seems to be a hit and miss with the Etys. Some users find them extremely comfortable and easy to insert/get a good seal , others just cannot seem to get a comfortable fit. Perhaps its because of the shape of our ear canals? Even methods of wearing/inserting them differ from user to user.

So far, the Ety 4p or 4s are the best ear canal earphones I've heard. I second the recommendation by av98m here in terms of where to buy it from for 2 reasons - 1) it's cheaper to get the Etys from either headroom or todd the vinyl junkie, 2) their return policy. Take note shipping from US is a bit ex because headroom uses fedex (but the total price is still less then what hung bros. charges - go figure)

The 4p is easier to drive than the 4s but you can always convert the 4P to 4S by using the optional adapter cable. This would make them quite useable for home use as well because with the adapter cable you'll have a longer run of the earphone cable while sonics do improve in subtle ways.

There is no difference (to my ears at least) between the 4s and the 4P (with adapter cable).

Happy Listening

alchemist - imho wrong. e2s imo are good with classical, but in a different way from the er4p.

i've owned both the e2 and currently own the er4p. these 2 happen to be the most popular 'higher-end' in-ear earphone (not counting the ex-71 in higher-end here.. biggrin.gif)

the e2 is good for classical in the sense that it is very forgiving. it makes mono recordings sound less strange through earphones and it's full midrange helps beef up thin sounding recordings, which are common in classical.

however it's flaw is that it smears the detail, leaving you with some . however, at it's price point, it's unbeatable for the classical-loving poor man. a bonus is that they have a 'fun' sound, full midrange, good (non-boomy) bass for an in-ear, but slightly unclear highs.

as for the er4p, it's a step up. harshly miked deutsche gramophon (they usually are, believe me) recordings have their harsh edge exposed. however, i dont think you can fault them for being accurate. pace and timing are way better on the etys than the e2s.

oh, if you DO get etys, please buy extra grey (mid-sized) foamies. they do wonders to the sound. if you find that you still prefer the silicones, then do pm me abt selling me the foamies. laugh.gif

Just tried the foamies today. Does the end with the plastic coating face the earphone or the ears?

The foamies also don't seem to go as deep as the triple flange, is that correct?

Hi adhoc,

It's always nice to hear another opinion. Actually i only had my e2s for about a month,i'm kind of unhappy with the absent of details on them,do you think they might reveal more detailed highs after fully burn-in?

Just tried the foamies today. Does the end with the plastic coating face the earphone or the ears?

The foamies also don't seem to go as deep as the triple flange, is that correct?

correct. the shiny side goes in first.