Sign in to follow this  
extremecans

Enhancement(s) to MF X-Can V3???

Hi, veterans and amateurs alike.

I'm a newbie to this forum though I do have some knowledge about hifi since getting my hands (as well as my pockets) burnt since high school... Now I'm really getting into big time in headphone high fidelity ever since I purchased my Sennheiser HD 600 some four or five years back...

My recent foray into this uncharted territory was when I bought the Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 a few months back to utilise the full potiential of my cans which I may be missing should they remained plugged in to my CD spinner.

Now, here's the problem... Are you guys able to advise on any further enhancement(s) to the already excellent (to my ears though) headphone amplifier such as a cable change (I'm using Audiotruth Lapis from CD out to head amp) or rather, "tubes" change, etc. Any input is very much appreciated as I know you guys have done a great job in this "cans high fidelity" arena.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Cheers!

biggrin.gif

What kind of music do you usually listen to? I did some mod on my previously owned V3 (Caps + tubes) to much success - please checkout previous threads on the subject.

My personal favorite tube rolled - the Siemens CCa, a very highly regarded NOS tube and if you can find a NOS pair, the Amperex Bugle Boys 6922s. I will also recommend a upgrade the stock cable of your HD600 which will improve the sound of your system significantly. biggrin.gif

Scriberex is doing a powerbuy for the Jan Meier HD600/650 replacement cable in the classifieds. Maybe you shd consider joining in. wink.gif

Edited by cmk

Thxs for the advice guys, especially headphonecrazy.

However, I'm an idiot when it comes to DIY and I know nuts about soldering... Incidentally, how was the synergy between the MF and the Senn cans (to headphonecrazy) when you had them the last time... or can I do better by changing either of the components?

I listen to all genres of music and I would prefer a dynamic yet lush and intimate sound. I enjoy, especially, listening to female vocalists.

Cheers!

laugh.gif

If you are using the Lapis i/c, then I will recommend the Siemens or Sylvania's E88CC which should be available from Frankie (Wells) at Burlington Square. A pair should cost between 100-150 bucks.

Thxs, headphonecrazy.

So if I've decided to get those NOS Siemens or Sylvania tubes, that will add up to another $100+ to my cost of owning the head amp... And if that's the case, wouldn't I be better off getting a good SS head amp instead?

Apparently, the MF X-Can V3 only favors certain makes of headphones and the Senn is one of those, thus in the long run if I'm to get another brand(s) of headphone(s), wouldn't I have to change the MF as well?

I've read through some of the comments in Head-Fi regarding this head amp and it seemed the folks there aren't too crazy over this beast... They advised SS head amps like Perraux SHX-1, Corda Prehead or the RS Emmeline HR-2 and tube counterparts like the Audio Valve RKV-II over the MF X-Can. I remembered that you used to own the MF and sold it shortly afterwards... What propelled the sales... Was it lacking refinement(s) in some areas... Or is it that I can do a lot better by getting either of the aforementioned head amps as the cost of adding spare tubes will indirectly pushes up the cost of ownership of the MF.

Did you have any listening experiences with the mentioned head amps driving the Senn cans... I'm sure most will surpass the MF in musical enjoyment... or are they?

Sorry, once again, for this lengthy paraphrasing... I shouldn't have rushed the MF purchase without conducting a reasonable listening session with the other head amps out on the market... For once, I've thought the MF was my preferred unit...

Incidentally, any valuable input from any SG forum member(s) is/are very much appreciated!

Cheers!

wink.gif

I used to have the MF Xcans V3, RKV MkII, the Headroom Cosmic, the Porta Corda etc etc, all good amps with their own merits, reasons for selling them you asked? in search of headphone listening nirvana of course. IMHO this is "almost" if not possible to attain. sleep.gif

Remember this hobby is one endless money pit. biggrin.gif

extremecans: Since U've already gotten MF X-cans V3, don't dwell on its weakness relative to other amps. I'd rather focus on improving/tailoring the sound to your preference by tube rolling it. U need not spend too much if U're are none too discerning. Mullard E88CC/2492 tubes have done wonders for V1 and V2, so I perceive they should work for V3 too.

Refer to this link for pricing of Mullard E88CC/2492/2493

http://www.wellaudiolab.com/preamp-nos.html

Edited by Mackie

For what its worth, I used the X-can v3 with the Sony MDR-CD3000 and hissing tubes aside, I thought it sounded pretty nice to be honest. I prefer it to the Corda HA-1.

Hi, guys!

Thxs for the valuable inputs...

Apparently, I just called Frankie and he quoted me $150 for just a unit of Siemens CCa, so that will set me back $300 for a pair!!! That's very expensive indeed... I thought headphonecrazy managed to get a pair for around $100++???

Nevertheless, he was also not willing to do any modification on the capacitors... So how did you (to headphonecrazy) get them changed the last time? I'm a novice to tubes and I was thinking along the line of headphonecrazy's mods on my amp.

If it isn't much of a trouble to ask (to headphonecrazy), are you able to assist me in modifyng my unit? Alternatively, should I just get those stock tubes change first and contemplate the other upgrades gradually in the future...

And to Mackie, thxs for the revelation piece of advice... I mean since I've already gotten the MF, I should just stick to it, period, and contemplate any enhancement(s) that I can "squeeze" out of it.

Lastly, thxs again for your kind assistance... You guys have been a great help!

Cheers!

biggrin.gif

Why not tube rolled the V3 first and live with it for a while before contemplating on mods? U can familiarise yourself with the improvement step by step instead of spending a lump some at one go on new tubes and components; not knowing which contributes most to the overall sound and characteristics each step exhibits. MHO really.

As for the choice of tubes, a pair of Mullard 2492 costs only $110. These sound much better than stock Jan 6922 tubes and thus, a good stepping stone to sonic heaven.

Scriberex also has a V3 tube rolled to the more expensive Mullard 2493. Pm him to find out more about the sound after this tube change.