Sign in to follow this  
Ticky

XP-7 & HA-2 arrived! Initial impression....

Yes siree, the XP-7 and HA-2 arrived in my mail yesterday. laugh.gif After some initial confusion about the power cord (or the lack of power cords... apparently Meier and Ray do not supply power cords with their amps), I plugged the amps into my CDP and spinned a few tunes on them.

Although I was a bit strapped for time last evening - too much readings to do for school - I managed to get around 1 hour of listening. Here's some of my initial impressions:

XP-7: As compared to the HA-2, the XP-7 sounded brighter and has a "faster" feel to music. Listening to Sarah Mclachlan's "After Glow" CD, the XP-7 seems to place the singer right in the middle of all instruments playing around her. In other words, accompanying instruments sound just as prominent as the leading vocal. The upside is that this gives a more "up-front" feel and better excitment. However, the downside is that, at times, it seems that the instruments and vocals are competing with one another to take center stage.

HA-2: On the other hand, the HA-2 appears to be warmer sounding and has a mellower feel. (I found the 120 ohm jack a bit too warm and mushy sounding for my taste and thus my impressions are based on the 0 ohm jack.) On this amp, Sarah Mclachlan took center stage as the sound of her voice projects more prominently than the accompanying instruments. It almost feels like the singer is standing a few feet infront of the other musicans. The upside is that vocals sounded a touch fuller on the HA-2. The downside is that music sometimes sounds a bit unexciting and there is a slight loss of details in the accompanying instruments as they seem to get "drowned" out by the vocal sound.

Well... those were my brief initial impressions. My thoughts might change once I have more time to toy around with the amps this weekend. I'll also compare the amps to my old Supreme and see how that amp stack agaisnt these two.

Can't wait. headphone.gifheadphone.gif

Oh... equipments i'm using with the amps: AMC CDP 8-b (US$200... cheap I know); Kimber Kable PBJ; HD-600; Etymotics ER-4S.

I am... I am. Just that I can't wait that long. tongue.gif

I think Ray burns in the XP-7 before shipping them out. Plus the power supply is Todd's, I assume he has given it sufficient mileage. (If I end up opting for the XP-7, I'll order a 220v version of the power supply to bring it back to Asia with me).

As for the HA-2, I left it running the entire day today. For good measure, I did the same to the XP-7 too. Hopefully they'll be "well-done" by the end of the week where I can finally "feast" on those amps. happy.gif

BTW - I did some more listening today. With the Supreme (premium module), I must say that all three amps are really excellent. The differences are subtle - to my ears at least - and they appear to excel in slightly different areas.

how do you afford so many amps? mellow.gif

I run a lucrative part-time mafia ring. cool.gif

Just kidding. Actually, I don't intend to keep both amps. Todd was kind enough to charge me just for the XP-7 (and power supply) while I check out both the HA-2 and XP-7. Hopefully, I would be able to decide which one I'll keep.

Unfortunately these two amps sounds so darn good that I might be up for a tearful parting of either one. unsure.gif

Between the 2 I'll go for the Corda HA-2 if you're looking to get an amp for home use only.

If flexibility is your main need the go for the XP-7 as it is an overkill for portable use but offer the added flexibility of both home and portable use.

Of course if you do like crossfeed then it's hobson's choice between the two as only the corda has it.

Either way I agree that it's a tough choice. But it's better to have a tough choice. Have fun. The Corda amps really do need burn-in to sound it's best - at least 150 hours but I would say it's more like 300 hours.

This is insane.... I've switched my decision back and forth so many times you'll think I have a split personality. I listen to the XP-7 and thought that's the one. Get up to go get my laundry. Take another listen. No, HA-2, that's the one for me. Get up, take a piss. Listen again. No, no XP-7. <repeat> wacko.gif

Just requested an audition of the HR-2. sleep.gif

I like the XP-7's "airier" sound but on some music the amp sounded a bit congested and shrill. Not satisfied with mediocrity - except for the occasional boring research assignment - I emailed Todd about this. Next thing I know, the HR-2 is on its way.

NO... I will not audition the Prehead!!! Ignorance is bliss. Hopefully this new amp will kick butt and the quest ends there.

Oh... my poor wallet!> no.gif

Edited by Ticky

Sorry to revive a dead thread. But I just got the HR-2 today.

One word: Sonic Bliss.

I think I've finally found the ONE. wub.gif

At least for now cool.gif

Ok... back to listening. headphone.gif