red_ryder

Denon DCD810 CD player - any good?

Anyone here familiar with this CD player? Worth buying it secondhand?

Hi

I have had a DCD910 for some years, which seems to be little different to the 810. The 910 has one or two additional features, and slightly different styling, but the transport and main PCB are the same. The transport is a simple, solid, and dependable piece of work; the data and servo control chipset is the Sony 118x series, which seems to have been well regarded; conversion is via a pair of Burr Brown DACs, which are definitely good. Performance has been consistently satisfying.

I have had no problem with the 910, except in recent weeks, when it started occasional mistracking. Changing the laser read-head (Sony KSS150A) with the current equivelent item (KSS210A) has given a complete cure. The new laser gives 50% greater output, so I'm pretty sure the original had had its day. A new laser is cheap, and is an absolute doddle to change.

I did buy a current model DCD485 as a potential replacement, but I have to say I've winced at each playing and am truly grateful to get my 910 back in harness. The 485 is the bottom-of-the-range model; that'll teach me!

I can't remember how much the 910 cost me when new, but I seem to remember it was at the upper end of the moderately priced ranges at the time.

Regards

JohnT