Welly Wu

Keeping an open ear to your suggestions...

Which option is better?  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Dear SGHeadphones Members:

I'm expecting to come into some money in the next several months and I plan to budget approximately $1000 USD total toward the purchase of some kind of audio equipment. Currently, I am debating whether to get the Ultimate Ears UE-10 PRO earphones http://www.ultimateears.com/UE-10_PRO.htm or the ModWright Pioneer Standalone Mod with the Ultimate Truth Mod + Analog Slipstream Bybee Mod http://www.modwright.com/products/?product_id=6

What are your opinions as to which path to take in the coming months? Why do you think so? I hope you will take the time to not only vote but to cast your opinions as well. Thank you!

Hey Welly,

(So this is where you lurk when it is nightime in the US)

You should get the canal phones. IMO speakers/headphones is the prime determinant of the sonic signature of a hi-fi rig. Also, they yield the most "bang for the buck." You would hear improvements to your system with the ModWright, but it doubt the difference would be as big as stepping up from a $300 canal phone (you have the Etys right?) to a $1000 one. You have the HR-2, so I think your amp should be able to keep up with the upgrade fine.

I also have the Etys, but I prefer my HD600 over them. Since, if I recall correctly, you live in a noisy area and need sealed canal phones, I think you owe it to yourself to get the "Best of the best."

After that you can proceed to get the ModWright. biggrin.gif

Ticky:

So, this is where you hang out too, huh? biggrin.gif

I'm doing the reverse of your very clear and helpful suggestions. I'm going with the ModWright mods first and then the UE-10 Pro later this year. Pray for my wallet! blink.gifw00t.gifwacko.gif

Did you ever think of moving somewhere less noisy?? That way you have a larger array of phones available for your picking.

Size does matter my friend. cool.gif