Sign in to follow this  
cmk

Headphone Sonic Signature

smile.gif)The thing I wish to warn you regarding mods is that they will not make day and night difference. The sonic signature of an amp depends on its design. Mods such as changin of caps, only add refinements to sonic signature of the amp in most cases. However this sonic signature also depends on your source and interconnects. Therefore if you really like the X-cans V3 then mod it to improve it and not mod it to change the sound. Last but not list it is impossible to use one headphone for all genre of music, you need at least 2. 

I'm curious about this comment about the need for at least 2 cans.

Can you share your experience with diff music and diff cans? Which do you find preferable with which genre?

Thanks.

Cmk, i think the hd600 is more suited for classical music in general and too slow for fast paced music like rock and so on.

smile.gif)The thing I wish to warn you regarding mods is that they will not make day and night difference. The sonic signature of an amp depends on its design. Mods such as changin of caps, only add refinements to sonic signature of the amp in most cases. However this sonic signature also depends on your source and interconnects. Therefore if you really like the X-cans V3 then mod it to improve it and not mod it to change the sound. Last but not list it is impossible to use one headphone for all genre of music, you need at least 2. 

I'm curious about this comment about the need for at least 2 cans.

Can you share your experience with diff music and diff cans? Which do you find preferable with which genre?

Thanks.

SR 225: rock and pop

HD600 : classical and new age

HD650: Vocals

DT931: Strings and piano

There probably some truth in this since the sonic signature of each headphone varies quite a bit. Even cans from the same manufacturer and line can vary quite audibly from model to model.

On the other hand, is it possible for a single can to "do it all"? What'd you guys think?

There probably some truth in this since the sonic signature of each headphone varies quite a bit.  Even cans from the same manufacturer and line can vary quite audibly from model to model.

On the other hand, is it possible for a single can to "do it all"?  What'd you guys think?

Let's start a new thread.

Mods please split the thread. Thanks.

Edited by lengcm

There probably some truth in this since the sonic signature of each headphone varies quite a bit. Even cans from the same manufacturer and line can vary quite audibly from model to model.

On the other hand, is it possible for a single can to "do it all"? What'd you guys think?

I guess it maybe possible for a person to have one can to rule them all however that will be based on his preference. However I am sure he is sure to have some compromises. As for me I believe in at least 2 cans to cover all the genre of music. I guess a decent pair of grado and a pair of senns will get the job done.

A single can to do it all, is possible. But the thing is that, I am not sure if it can cover all genre very well. Coz some cans have some 'signature' that is , eg senn: a little laidback, relaxed etc and as such you won't be able to rock with it. Yep, you can but I think it's not as exciting as say the Grado sr-325 lol.gif(It sounds like the guitar-man has not taken his breakfast before playing :lol).

For me, the one that can do it all is the Ety ER-4s. No doubt it might not excel in every genre&sonic signature but it comes close to it IMHO(btw, I don't listen to classical lol.gif ).

Maybe we could split cans into a few broad categories :

Fast vs Slow

Upfront vs Laid-back

Punchy vs not-punchy bass

Any others?

Admitably, amplification also counts, but I believe the basic sonic signature of a can doesn't change very much.

etys - classical, jazz

dt880 - electronica

akg501 - classical, jazz (vocal only)

and that abt sums up those that i've had extensive experience with.

although it should be noted that the etys are good for classical because they bring out the detail, while the 501s are good for classical because they bring out the soundstage and atmosphere of the recording.

so, i guess, it can be really really difficult to classify headphones this way by any one particular fixed standard.

Edited by adhoc

Fast vs Slow

Upfront vs Laid-back

Any others?

Admitably, amplification also counts, but I believe the basic sonic signature of a can doesn't change very much.

open vs closed

hehehe... innocent.gif

Fast vs Slow

Upfront vs Laid-back

Any others?

open vs closed

hehehe... innocent.gif

No way... In general, open cans sounds better than closed cans except for the CD3k which I have heard sounds ok.

HP-1 - all genres

Ety 4S - almost all genres tongue.gif

I firmly believe that the job of headphones is to get out the way and reproduce music as faithfully as possible. If it makes one genre sound good but makes the other suck then its not doing it job right and adding its own coloration.

Only use Hd600 extensively. It's suitable for all music, if u like it's signature sound.