Sign in to follow this  
tropicalrips

mini pre-amp

i was feeling bored today mellow.gif so decided to try out this project that i had in my head for some time now hammer.gif

user posted image

its basically a volume control for my Cmoys that doesn't hav volume control, the pre-amp allows me to try out the amp using the line-out of any source

user posted image

its actually quite a simple project, just 2 stereo jacks , an Alps mini pot and a left-over casing which used to house my micro Cmoy. the knob is an aluminium one from RS.

user posted image

i thought of putting in my bass-enhanced cross feed circuit as there's still quite a lot of space left, but decided i didn't like the cross feed sound biggrin.gif. i think i'll add an extra pair of RCA jacks and a switch for selecting 2 different source grado.gif

Edited by tropicalrips

maybe u can add in some amplification (correct spelling?) circuit to make it function like a pre-amp found in speaker setup? tongue.gif

i'm not sure ampping this unit is a good idea, cause the output is going into another amp

hey, tropicalrips, i suggest you put a buffer(opamp buffer also can) in your pre-amp before the pot. i can see your cable is rather long, this can avoid fidelity loss. with the buffer, it will serve as a high impedance load to the output of your discman. and then send the signal to pot then to the amp. this a .2cent suggestion.

Edited by huangyong

wah!

like that machiam like MiniMe.

I can forget bout getting it from Norm. tongue.gif

huangyong :

buffer will mean an extra battery rite? but the batt won't fit into this case no.gif i think maybe i'll built one more using the same mini Hammond case.

do u hav ideas on how the circuit will be for a buffer/opamp buffer in the pre-amp?

i'm also thinking of a third unit with nothing but buffers biggrin.gif for current gain, making it into a 3 peice modular portable amp party.gif

the power amp can work by itself, the other 2 units can be use to complement other amps, either as volume control or as current gain unit for low Z headphones

the 3 units can come together to form a max-out version of the buffered cmoy smile.gif it will be fun lol.gif

Edited by tropicalrips

Oh, my GOD!!! crazylaugh.gif

you are going to carry these boxes around.LOL

and call it 3 peices modular portable amp !?!!!

why don't you put all in one box and make it modular.(or parts swappable)??

ok..ok... i will draw and post my circuit week after next.( after my test).and lets rock then... party.gif

lol.gif i was thinking the power amp alone can be used as a portable, and the other 2 units as modular add-ons for home use, making it into a max-out desktop amp

the add-on units will also hav to be able to work with other portable amps, that should be the most important part of the design. it must be self contained, self powered, without need for any "special" stuff, just a mini to mini stereo cable to link all the modules together smile.gif

update on some changes to the pre-amp smile.gif

user posted image

added 2 caps on the input side, according to most people over at Headwise, the caps will help reduce DC offset.

i measure the dc voltage on the amp output at 0.2 - 0.7 mV , that should be quite safe for any headphones rite? grado.gif

user posted image

Edited by tropicalrips

ok . i've got wat you mean.

the caps won't make any difference in DC offset, since you already have a input cap in your amp.

may be the cap may help in reduce the induction effect by long cable.( think so, can't really sure, may be study in EMI)

Edited by huangyong

problem with puting caps in line with the signal is that the cap becomes a 1st order high pass filter. i don`t mean to discourage but i think its better to keep it simple as caps also tend to buger up the midrange.

hacknet, put caps in series means decreasing the capacitance.

as in series:

C= 1(1/C1 + 1/C2)

which means increase the roll off freq.

it's that wat you mean by buger up the midrange??

If you put your "pre-amp" before the cmoy, it'd be fine.

It's akin to having a volume pot in the cmoy.

I do hope your coupling cap is placed after the pot and before the output though.

Otherwise, you'll run into some frequency filter issues.

Also, tantalum caps are a no-no in the signal path.