Sign in to follow this  
Sipher

what kind of jazz?

hmm...chick corea considered jazz? aiyo...seems like "JAZZ" is really hard to define...

Ive once had a friend whos a hardcore Jazz fan who told me that "real Jazz" is about the singer "interacting" with the musicians...something like the musicians and the singer taking "equal grounds" and are equally important in the music...

I dint really understand until I saw some Jazz concerts on DVD...

pardon the extensive use of "quotes"...Im not exactly adept at terminations...

Hmm...

Like i've say, i'm a starter into this genre, I may be wrong.

But I think its jazz or jazz instrument, maybe towards more technical side I guess.

Ive got a few chick corea albums...

most I consider "new age keyboardist" while one of them is a classical rendition of mozart with bobby mcferrin

I dont really like the keyboard stuff...but thats just me...

Ooh...

I think that are quite technical, I don't really get into too.

I think I only got one album got a guest female vocal.

Should be the "Light As A Feather" album.

I'm more into bossa nova and blues with guitar instrument playing kind.

But damn, I want to listen to the Jazz At The Pawnhouse, which so many people have been talking about.

Can't seem to find that cd at gramophone.

If you dig Stan Getz, U'll will like Antonio Carlos Jobim. If you specifically like Sax, try out the Jazz Grand master John Coltrane - Ballads album.

Edited by Mackie

i believe FourPlay also falls under the generic term of "Fusion Jazz". Other groups / artists with similar style are : Yellow Jackets, Dave Crusin, Joe Sample, Spyro Gyra, Richard Elliot, Bob James, Eric Marienthal, Rippingtons, Dave Koz, Larry Carlton, David Sanborn, etc.

;)

i think fourplay is considered as smooth jazz. u can try their latest album "X", pretty good i muz say.

made up of Bob James (keyboards), Nathan East (bass), and Harvey Mason (drums) and Larry Carlton (guitar and a.ka. mr 335)

like what Braxton said, they r good. :))

Guest dogfight

But damn, I want to listen to the Jazz At The Pawnhouse, which so many people have been talking about.

Can't seem to find that cd at gramophone.

oh yea..that album is a must-have for every jazz lover...its actually a live recording done in a coffeehouse if i'm not wrong and its really good...you can even hear some glasses clinking, people talking in the background and clappings

but sadly, i reformatted my pc in the past and now have lost it! arghhh...

Btw, it's Jazz At The PawnSHOP......hehehe.....not PawnHOUSE....

There are 2 albums in this series.

Edited by Mackie

If u like low end musical instruments eg, u prefer Cello to Violins, u should dig Gerry Mulligan with his Baritone Saxophone..

I have one Telarc recording of him though, Dragonly and that costs me a bomb.

Fourplay - Between the Sheets was the nicest album I heard.

For those into Guitars, try Armik.

oh, i was looking around for that album (dragonly) some years back. i have a track with mulligan and getz together ... truly wicked stuff. getz really sounds like lester young.

I once remembered from a friend that there was a lot of variations of jazz.

Swing, Big Band, Bebop, Cool Jazz, Fusion etc etc.

To me, I mainly listen to Coltrane, Miles Davis and likes. A dose of Fitzgerald is always in order if you ask me :)

But seriously who cares what is labelled as? As long as it is MUSIC to you, go ahead and dive in

after all One man's noise is another man's music :)