red_ryder

Beyer DT931 detail

Wow! Listening to a recording of Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 3 just now and I was amazed to hear small coughs and paper rustling in the background. ohmy.gif Never heard them before on this recording.

Very solid pair of cans, especially with Classical Music. Now just waiting to buy a good headamp to pair it up with.

Edited by red_ryder

congrats!

but...

you should see what etys are capable of then.. happy.gif

Wow! Listening to a recording of Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 3 just now and I was amazed to hear small coughs and paper rustling in the background.  ohmy.gif  Never heard them before on this recording.

Very solid pair of cans, especially with Classical Music. Now just waiting to buy a good headamp to pair it up with.

Anyway I have tried many amps with the DT931. So far only the Corda line of amps seems to drive the DT931 to my satisfaction out of the 120 Ohm output. By the way you need a 120 ohm adapter for the DT931.

Edited by lengcm

You mean the Big Ben amp? Who might this owner be, Firefox?

The new owner is av98m.

I just revisited my DT990 this morning and was very happy with the detail I heard. Also trying to see if it is more suited to any particular genre of music compared to the AT W100s. Must say that the 990 bass is definitely more prominent and it does have very nice tonal balance. Currently still doing more listening to determine the bias of this can, does sound good. headphone.gif

I feel that the DT931 suffers when it comes to rock or agressive pop. It sounds jarring, and noisy. But with acoustic instruments and classical music I don't get that effect, even when the entire orchestra is blaring away. Then again, you have to keep in mind that I'm not using a headphone amp, just a regular home theatre

After listening on the cans I really miss the detail when I go back to speakers. The advantage is that speakers don't sound so up-front and close, sometimes the cans do feel a bit claustrophobic.

Edited by red_ryder

I feel that the DT931 suffers when it comes to rock or agressive pop. It sounds jarring, and noisy. But with acoustic instruments and classical music I don't get that effect, even when the entire orchestra is blaring away. Then again, you have to keep in mind that I'm not using a headphone amp, just a regular home theatre

After listening on the cans I really miss the detail when I go back to speakers. The advantage is that speakers don't sound so up-front and close, sometimes the cans do feel a bit claustrophobic.

The DT931 does suffer when it comes to rock due to its slow speed. A pair of Grados will be much better in this genre IMHO. Try using a 120 ohm adapter, it will give the DT931 a little more weight and a little less glaring in the sonic signature.

red ryder,

The DT-931 is only harsh if there's a miss match between it and the amp. Plug a DT-931 into a corda or RKV (without impedencer) and there's no harshness at all.

Some may prefer a more neutral presentation in which case go for the DT-150. The DT-990 is okay but a little too dark. The DT-880 is much better IMO with better detail. Having said that you might find the either the Senn HD-600 / 650 better suited than the Beyer DT-990.