Sign in to follow this  
pbirkett

Perreaux SXH-1

I have just received today a Perreaux SXH-1 headphone amp, to replace my X-Can v3. This cost me £274 shipped to the UK, and I have listened to this for an hour and a half, 3 hours burn in. I still think its got some way to go, but this is showing promise of being an outstanding bargain. This sounds far better than an X-Can v3 so far. Its bass is more impactful, goes far deeper, and has far more prescence than the X-Can, has greater dynamic power, far and away more detail, is more extended in the treble, but sounds warmer and more groovy sounding than the X-Can, which sounds a bit shrill in comparison. The midrange is almost tube like in its smoothness and overall presentation. This would be a great choice for someone who likes a tube sound but does not want the hassle. Its a discrete design, stable down to 8 ohms, and outputs 2.2 w RMS into 32 ohms, 235 mW rms into 300 ohms, < 0.005% THD 20Hz-20KHz, frequency response 5Hz-60KHz +0 db, -0.25 db, Class A design with its own terroidal transformer. This is a no brainer of an amp for the money IMO.

My source is a terratec EWX 24/96, which sounds great with these headphones and this amp.

I guess it's pretty hard to find one in Singapore...the local agent Stereo Electronics refuse to bring in this so called "low demand" product.

You shld see many reviews & pictures in Head-Fi.

It seems to be the case. I could almost pin-point the exact time when the Purreaux came into the "hot item" radar: after the Maryland/DC Head-fi meet. Apparently the members at the meet got a chance to check out the Purreaux and really liked its sound. Many say that it has an edge over the XP-7, which was the "hot item" at one point.

After that... well, the "fever" took hold.

I'll get pics up asap...

I cant speak for whether its better than the Emmerline, but it sounds a lot better than other headphone amps I've had (Corda HA-1, X-Can v3), more bassy, a lot more realistic, dynamic, all the things I felt was wrong with the CD3000 before, it seems to have gone a long way to fix. I know its something of a flavour of the month, but I do think this is a great little amp for the cash. More impressions later, as i'm only at the 12 hour mark, but its sounding better all the time. Its a rev 0.5.