Sign in to follow this  
tidus

Chinese Pop

i seldom listen to chinese pop now but i just have to say david tao is one of my fav chinese artiste. bought his 1st album maybe about 6 months after it came out and i listened to it every week for a year or 2......

couldnt say much about the rest of his albums but i think the 1st one is still the best.

Haha we are getting into an elaborate debate...

To keep things short, I am not a David Tao fan, just felt that I had to come to his and other singers' defence, by putting things in perspective (mine, of course happy.gif ), because to recommend/promote a singer and his album, you do not have to put others down by calling them copycats, being dethroned, etc. They have their own merits, and just because they do R&B, it doesn't mean they are mimicking Jay or anyone else for that matter. "May I Love You", imho, is nowhere near any of Jay's songs I have heard, from the 1st to the most recent album, whether be it in the composition, arrangement, or Z Chen's rendition. In fact I find that Z Chen's style of singing is really unique.

AFAIK, David Tao has always been affectionately known as "Yin Yue Jiao Fu" by the Taiwanese media, and "king of R&B" was "forced" on him by other fansites and music sites. They continue to call him as such because they feel he deserves the title. Anyway titles aren't all that important, because they are superficial and does not really reflect anything concrete. Moreover there can always be more than one "king", just as there can be more than one "Yin Yue Jiao Fu" and 4 "Heavenly Kings", so no one has to be dethroned! yawn.gif

Thanks Evil-zen for showing there are people who already listen to David before Black Tangerine. And if people at my age, i.e. my friends, have also done so, they must be younger than 12 when they started listening to David's debut, which is already quite a feat!

Lastly, packaging is more of a "need", rather than an act of "copying". Before Jay Chou, we have already seen many singers with really well-packaged albums, scantily dressed, and surrounded by scandals. Jay wasn't the first, that I can be sure of. This "need" is a result of the industry's revolution, and if one is to survive in the industry, they have to follow these principles. Jay is but a follower himself too in this respect. This is no secret formula of his, but a widely known formula, tried and tested, just that Jay is a better known, and successful example.

I think that's about all I have to say, but I must reiterate again that there is no need to put anyone down to highlight the merits of another. It is comments of this nature that spark off flame wars on official and unofficial fansites, and I feel they are really unnecessary. Luckily we are on a really nice forum, and let's just hope an avid David Tao, JJ, Z Chen or Jolin fan doesn't see this. rolleyes.gif

I like faye... i like the way she sings even though i dun understand a word she says laugh.gif

I like to be opinionated in forums, to make things lively mah. Don't fume man. I feel since there's no face behind a nick, I dont wanna be too tactful and reserved, wats the point then? Is this a carebear forum? I don't think so right? Freedom of speech right? Must be courageous mah, i follow my heart laugh.gif So don't tell me how to review lah coz I don't agree its unnecessary to put anyone down to highlight merits... maybe that's your style, not mine. Comparisons are inevitable, don't you ever say something taste better than another? Clay vs Reuben. Mariah vs Whitney. Acute pancreatitis vs chronic pancreatitis. Gall stones vs urinary stones... Jurong pt vs Eastpoint. Humans make links... easier to understand. ... if I just say Jay Chous is very good, end of story, then? Like I said, Jay vs David is very controversial.

Back to the thread, I respect that you disagree but you are a bit shifty about the merits of Tao (btw our local I magazine called him King of R&B last time. Your friends like him means wat? I also like SHE but I like their faces. So you and your friends like which part? Can you bring up some solid points to tell me why David deserves better standing compared to Jay?

Once again, let me highlight this is my satellite picture (my conspiracy theory), my knowledge of the sequence of events. A lot of my friends my age (mid-twenties) feels the same about the evolution brough forth by Jay's first two albums. If you feel that David's image makeover was out of the blue, ok loh. I see some similarities btw his new image and Jay's. You know any other singer previously that's packaged like Jay? Sure every singer is heavily packaged to succeed (except David initially rolleyes.gif ). I never said Jay is the first, but his bosses (Jacky jacky go) came out with the right formula... quite a blast i must add.

Well I agree to disagree and I think my point has been made and I dont think I can elaborate further (law of diminishing returns). Maybe we can focus on recommending our top ten albums of Mandopop too.

Besides, David likes to bash his peers too, seems i not the only one who likes to be opinionated.

Taken from the New Paper

HERE's David Tao's take on the Chinese music scene: It's going down the toilet.

In town for tonight's Singapore Hit Awards where he is up for several awards, the, er, 'king' of Chinese R&B bemoaned the 'still dismal' state of Chinese pop.

And he sure spared no-one.

'His music is more idol-based, more catered to his age... and fans who are into video games,' David, 34, said dismissively.

'I'm 10 years older than him, and honestly I'm way beyond all that now.'

Guess who he's talking about?

Why, Jay Chou of course.

The two Chinese R&B superstars are up against each other in no less than four award categories - Best Album Production, Best Male Vocalist, Best Performing Regional Male Artiste, and Favourite Artiste in Taiwan.

'The differences between us are becoming even more apparent these days... I think in a few years' time, the comparisons will stop,' said David, after an autograph session at Marina Square.

The singer would rather focus on acts he thinks needs a serious makeover.

On Taiwanese A*Mei (Chang Huei-mei): 'She started out doing stuff no-one else did. Now, it's a ballad here, a fast track there, but it lacks direction and an overall picture.'

On Singaporean Stephanie Sun: 'She's got incredible talent, like a bomb waiting to explode! But she needs somebody who can oversee things as a whole... (with) courage to try new things.'

But the Hongkong-born, Taipei-bred and Los Angeles-based David saved his harshest words for...

Taiwanese Coco Lee: 'Let's face it, she's abandoned her Chinese roots (for the US market)... (and) lost the hearts of many Asian fans.'

Knowing his roots is key to David's continued stardom, and that's why you won't hear an all-English album anytime soon.

'If I focus on the US market, I compromise time for the Asian market,' he said.

Asked how he rated himself, David took a little while before he answered.

'I give myself 7.5 out of 10,' he said. 'I need to improve my time management and piano skills.'

Of course you are entitled to your opinions, but I believe tact is always an important part of netiquette, even if you can hide behind your nick forever. I am not fuming, in fact I am quite amused by this fruitless argument. So what if Jay is better than David? Does it make me any happier or sadder? I don't think so, so I guess I am not, and won't be fuming.

And I am not telling you how to review, I merely expressed my opinion that such comparisons and comments are uncalled for, since they have the potential of starting a flamewar between fans, unlike in the case of acute pancreatitis vs chronic pancreatitis or gall stones vs urinary stones or Jurong pt vs Eastpoint. As for Clay vs Reuben or Mariah vs Whitney, again if I were the reviewer, I would gladly make comparisons, but I would make it a point to comment on the merits and flaws of both, and not put one down in order to promote another. For example: Maybe Clay can sing better, but he isn't as cute as Ruben. Not that Ruben can't sing, that soulful voice of him is really amazing! [Comparison, but no basis for a flamewar even if either Clay or Ruben's number 1 fan happens to see my ill-informed "review".]

I think I didn't mention too many merits of David since I ain't really a fan, so if I were shifty (and I seriously don't see where), apologies. I also believe I am not in the position to answer why my friends like David, just as I think that it would be too truistic to argue that all Jay's fans like him for his talent, looks, charisma or whatever attribute he has. And of course, I won't be bringing up "some solid points to tell me why David deserves better standing compared to Jay", because that's just not my style.

To conclude, I must say that I am not a fan of David nor Jay, so pardon my lack of knowledge on specifics of the two of them, and for commenting on things in a really general manner most of the time. My defending David has nothing to do with his character, and I by no means agree with nor advocate the type of comments he made being quoted above. Even if the one being put down was anyone else, he/she can still count on me to make my point. happy.gif

Time to return to my Carebear forums! wink.gif

To conclude, I must say that I am not a fan of David nor Jay, so pardon my lack of knowledge on specifics of the two of them, and for commenting on things in a really general manner most of the time. My defending David has nothing to do with his character, and I by no means agree with nor advocate the type of comments he made being quoted above. Even if the one being put down was anyone else, he/she can still count on me to make my point. Time to return to my Carebear forums!

Wow. Its like discussing with my lawyer about real estates and suddenly, he apologies and tells me, "I just don't like your approach.... actually i've never taken a module on real estates so pardon my lack of knowledge. But if you ever use this approach again, even if its gonna be about brain tumours, you can count on me to make my point... now if you would excuse me.. blink.gif

Edited by tidus

Evil: your tao zhe's first album is still well taken care .. by me of course tongue.gif

David tao. My fav: angeline, airport at 10:30, I believe, flowing sand, ai hen jian dan, regular friends

(some of the titles may have been translated into english already tongue.gif )

I believe I don't have to take a module on and know all the specifics of real estates to tell you that you shouldn't be selling a villa which doesn't belong to you. Similarly, I don't have to know everything about Jay and David to say that it's unnecessary to put one down to promote another, since even if it weren't Jay and David, but anyone else, my point still stands simply because it's not a matter of factual knowledge, but principles.

But anyhow, I believe I know enough to comment on them both, and I am pretty confident that any specifics which I have written are not cooked up from nowhere, so that disclaimer was just to clarify my neutral stand. I am sure ablaze can tell us more about brain tumours, and you can count on me too to make my point if he ever says that brain tumours grow ermmm... in the stomach. happy.gif

Hey Blues, I really like airport at 10:30 (Fei Ji Chang De Shi Dian Ban) too!

absolute0, don't drag me into this now. you'll know as much as me or tidus one day when it comes to brain tumours wink.gif

But anyhow, I believe I know enough to comment on them both, and I am pretty confident that any specifics which I have written are not cooked up from nowhere

Are you in medicine? I hope you are not my junior.

Anyway I really don't think you know enough specifics to comment. You used a lot of your impressions to refute my points, and they are not even factually correct. BTW my comments are not original. They are things I read from magazines etc. I m not a professional critic. And maybe you should open your mind a little... everyone here compares. They always say compared to this pair of headphone, that pair sounds.... Why why WHY do you have a problem with comparison? Everyone prefers something, and inevitably, if something s better, everything else will pale. If you don't agree, ok. If you don't like my style, guess wat, I don't really care. That's how I review. I compare. You can tell me why you like David, or his strengths, but guess wat, you never do, despite my numerous urges for you to list his strengths or review his albums. Why? Because you don't even listen to his songs. I have everyone of David's albums and everyone of Jay's. Does that help me in judging? I would think so. If you are not a fan, and don't really listen to them, on what basis are your arguments based on? You just keep picking and picking and picking on my points and the way i review... very objective i must add. I give David a lot of credit in my previous statements, I say his music was "ahead of his time", "did not get the recognition it deserved". You just say that your friends like him? Like wat? Then you say you can't speak for them. Doh!!! My whole review was on how Jay's second album evolved MandoPop and let's face it, David's album never did establish any impact.

You keep picking on my stuffs with your "general impressions". I m getting a bit sick with debating with you. You want me to list your factual errors? You said he was NEVER called the King of R&B by the media? Are you sure? Do you even read? Even in Today article i posted, they call him the King of R&B. Friend, you don't refute based on general impressions. Your groundless counter points makes people like me who reads, and listens then makes substantiated remarks very stupid. Anyway, i'm retiring from this thread. I was hoping some muscled reviews would help carry this thread forward.

you can count on me too to make my point if he ever says that brain tumours grow ermmm... in the stomach.

No no no.. . you don't even rem what you wrote. I can count on you to make your point when I say Brain tumours are more lethal than lipomas, or when i say lipomas are stupid compared to brain tumours.

I believe I don't have to take a module on and know all the specifics of real estates to tell you that you shouldn't be selling a villa which doesn't belong to you.

And that doesnt make sense too! What's the analogy? Your analogy should have been "I dont need to take a module on real estate to tell you that you shouldnt be selling a villa by insulting another villa". Can you pls try to think before you just refute?