Sign in to follow this  
ablaze

Beyer DT831s

hey how much do these go for at Hung? anybody knows?

searching for a pair of closed cans. my HP890s died on me sleep.gif

deciding between these, the k271s (S$250 right?) and the Beyer dt660s ($340?)..

what do ya all think? smile.gif

hi havent heard the beyers but acquired the akg 2 weeks back and have no regrets. after burning them in for about 100 hours, i found it to be a very engaging phone - one that really draws you into the mix. if you listen to it cold, you may not be impressed as i was not impressed when i did - the highs were compressed and the bass was thin. i found that swapping cables had a very noticeable effect with these phones - for eg, using klotz gy107, narrowed the soundstage, thickened the mid bass but squished the highs, using teflon cat 5 cables (twisted pair) accentuated the mids, evened out the highs and bass, belden 89259 provided a fair balance but the bass was still lacking and belden 89207 provided the best balance for me - deep bass, clean mids and highs (i dont use any commercial "branded" cables altho i have some old nordost , aq and chord co cables lying around - gave up on the hype years ago). these shades were not apparent on the senn 600s or the grado sr 80s - so i am impressed with these party.gif

DT831 sells at an exorbitant price at JBL gallery and although a very good pair of closed cans, it can sound bright with some amps and definitely so if driven out of any headphone/pc sockets. DT660 is more forgiving in sound and load and aesthetically more contemporary. Personally, I prefer DT660 over DT860 (flagship of Beyer new Premium line) in terms of value-for-money factor. S$100 difference in price is a huge saving over sonic compromise which is very little. YMMV.