Sign in to follow this  
lengcm

Equinox vs Mobius on the HD650

Hey all, I have recently purchased the Zu Mobius for the HD600/650. So far the Mobius have about 75- 100 hours of burn in while the Equinox is completely burnt in.

Appearance wise, the Mobius has a very solid built especially with the aluminium plugs. Believe me the plugs are really made to last. However there is just one complain regarding the bulit is that due to the rough surface of the tech flex, the cable is a little microphonic.

Both the Mobius and the Equinox are much better sounding than the stock HD650 cable. The treble of the HD650 is slightly recessed to me. Both the Mobius and the Equinox brings the treble foward and adds more details to the sonic presentation. However the the Mobius does this a little better than the Equinox. The treble has a better presence on the Mobius. This maybe an advantage or a disadvantage depending on the amps, recording or source.

For the bass, the Mobius is better that the Equinox, it is slightly tighter and it goes down deeper. In addition the Mobius has a tad more slam. As for the vocals, I prefer the Equinox over the Mobius. It seems like vocals are sweeter and slightly more lush on the Equinox. Last but not least, the Equinox has more "air" i.e soundstage than the Mobius, but the Mobius has better separation.

To sum it all up, both the cables are much better than the stock. I would not say the Equinox is better than the Mobius or the way round. I would prefer to put it as both cables offers different flavours of improvement to the HD650. Right now, the Mobius is staying with HD650 and the Equinox is staying with the HD600.

Last but not least, IMHO, YMMV, etc etc

Setup used:

Consonance 1.1 -> KS1030-> Corda HA1

Edited by lengcm

Do you have a problem with the Mobius fitting very tightly with the HD650? I have 2 Mobius cables and they are both almost impossible to fit. I have to force it in very hard to get it to fit.

The mobius is a tight fit but a firm hand and a little pressure does the trick.

Personally I tried the Equinox, Mobius, Jan Meier's Oehlbach, Cardas (at the first Meet in Jan 2003 and for a few day afterwards) and Clou Red (at the 3rd meet).

I would say that the Mobius did everthing right while preserving the character of the HD-600

Equinox was the next best for me but altered the sound by giving the HD-600 too much air (it also seems a little brighter)

The Jan Meier's Oehlbach cable gave more wieight to the music presentation but I felt I prefered my diy "Agent Orange" cable.

The Cardas cable whilst very good altered the presentation like the Oehlbach cable. Between the 2 I think I would still pick the Cardas but its hard to say since the auditions were like a year a part. Good thing I was using the same CDP (Rotel RCD-971) same interconnects (Kimber Select 1030) and same amp (Corda HA-1).

I didn't like another diy belden cable or the Clou Red (not my cup of tea/whiskey). However if I remember correctly the I used the Clou Red with another amp - I believe it was an X-Cans or Cayin so it's not exactly fair.

In summation:

1st Choice = Mobius

2nd Choice = Equinox

3rd Choice = Cardas

4th Choice = "Agent Orange" diy cable

5th Choice = Oehlbach

6th Choice = Clou Red moved this up 2 spots because I was using a different amp so it wasnt a fair comparison)

7th Choice = Stock

8th Choice = Belden

But I seriously think that the Clou Red is any better than the stock. Pair the HD600 with a good amp with the money used for the Clou Red would be a much better option IMHO.

Edited by lengcm

Hi! I am using the Clou Red but on my system set up it is very clear that the Clou is much better than the stock, probably because of my listening preference. In fact after trying the Obhlbach (but still running in) I do not feel that it has marked improvement. IMHO, YMMV etc etc

I bought it for US$120. Add another S$50 for shipping to Singapore, but Headroom service was real good that I got my cable just 2 days after! (I actually ordered the Cardas first but waited for months as no stock until I gave up)

BTW my listening taste quite different: I like details and focus and are willing to trade off airyness and depth. Just imagine Kimber silver streak and Slitech, though also silver cable, only managed to stay for 1 track on my system. Some how I do not like too smooth the highs, that is why I dun quite like the HD650 until I put in the Clou Red. So much so that I dare not try the Cardas as I have seen so far many who prefer Cardas do not like Clou.

Just a quick update for Mobius owners, please remember to clean the connector pins. It really make a lot of difference. I just cleaned mine and it was day and night difference.

It really make a lot of difference. I just cleaned mine and it was day and night difference.

After cleaning the connector and I also apply a thin layer of ProGold solution on it too. biggrin.gif

Sorry to dig out the old thread, but where can I buy Equinox in Singapore?

Thanks.

Don't think you can get it locally. Need to order from Stefan Audio Art. It takes pretty long since James has a huge back log

thanks for the info. Anyone wants to let go the Equinox, pm me :rolleyes: