Welly Wu

Building a portable audio system

I've pretty much weaned myself off the entire portable audio scene for a good long while but the itch is getting to me. I'm seriously thinking about building a very specific portable audio system.

Here are my top goals:

1. Acquire a portable source component with VERY LONG battery life ( > 100 hours), rechargeable batteries, external remote control, and WMA 9 format support with firmware upgradeable option. Yeah, PCDP need only apply. I'm not going with a HD-DAP because I want the ability to utilize existing hardware (i.e., Plextor DVD / CD-RW drives & blank media) and be able to buy a new Red Book CD and play it on the road.

2. Acquire a portable headphone amplifier with at least > 100 hours battery life that is truly portable (i.e., fits in the palm of my hand). Cross-feed is welcome too.

3. Acquire a bag of some sort to put everything in its proper location with room for batteries and a few blank CDs

So, here is what I am thinking to reach my goals:

iRiver IMP-1000 -> Meier Audio Porta Corda II -> Oelbach MINI to MINI adapter -> Ultimate Ears UE-10 PRO (43" long user replaceable BLACK cable) all in a HeadRoom AirBag.

I got questions:

A. Will the Meier Audio Porta Corda II literally fit inside the HeadRoom AirBag? In other words, is there enough room in the front compartment to make it fit or is it custom fitted for their HeadRoom Total AirHead portable headphone amplifier?

B. Who knows where I can read more user reviews about the iRiver IMP-1000 PCDP?

I chose HE-AAC VBR format to encode my Red Book CDs. I am using the latest versions of dBpowerAMP Music Convertor and the Power Pack to rip. I'm literally ripping and encoding my music library right now. I'm using the Plextor PX-W4824TU (1.05 firmware) as my CD-RW drive.

What's good about this specific portable audio system? What's bad about it? Thank you very much!

Edited by Welly Wu