cmk

Nice classical pieces

Listening to this:

The Rubinstein Collection, Vol. 35--Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 2; Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini; Prelude, Op. 3, No. 2 (RCA red seal Label)

As this first time I really listened to Rachmaninoff, cant really say much except I like the Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini very much. Being a Marthaphile wannabe, no prizes for guessing which rendition I will listen next.

Out of sheer curiosity:

Sting - Songs from the Labyrinth. John Dowland (Composer), Robert (ii) Johnson (Composer), Edin Karamazov (Lute), Sting (Vocals) (DG Label)

Anyone besides me bite the bait. Wasn't very impressed by Sting's effort.

Borrowed from my sis:

Debussy: Préludes I & II. Claude Debussy (Composer), Walter Gieseking (Performer) (EMI Classics Label)

I cant really digest this at the moment. Mono recording.

Edited by petia

Listening to this:

The Rubinstein Collection, Vol. 35--Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 2; Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini; Prelude, Op. 3, No. 2 (RCA red seal Label)

As this first time I really listened to Rachmaninoff, cant really say much except I like the Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini very much. Being a Marthaphile wannabe, no prizes for guessing which rendition I will listen next.

i have askenazy's take on rachmaninoff's piano concerto nos. 2 and 3 by Decca, as well as martha's. like his reticence and stoicism in no. 2 but martha's passion in no. 3 is quite something.

after you have chance to listen to martha, would love to hear your thoughts.

Bought from Sembawang

(China Print)

IPB Image

LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN

Violin Sonatas

No. 6 op. 30 No. 1

No. 7 op. 30 No. 2

No. 8 op. 30 No. 3

Gidon Kremer

Martha Argerich

CD |D|D|D| 445 6522 |G|H|

Release: Nov. 1994

IPB Image

MENDELSSOHN

Concerto for Violin and Orchestra in E minor

BRAHMS

Concerto for Violin and Orchestra in D major

Anne-Sophie Mutter

Berliner Philharmoniker

Herbert von Karajan

CD |D|D|D| 445 5152 |G|MA|

Masters

Release: Aug. 1994

From Borders

(US print)

IPB Image

MARTHA ARGERICH

Début Recital

CHOPIN: Scherzo No. 3 op. 39

Barcarole op. 60

BRAHMS: 2 Rhapsodien op. 79

PROKOFIEV: Toccata op. 11

RAVEL: Jeux d'eau

LISZT: Ungarische Rhapsodie

Hungarian Rhapsody: No. 6

Klaviersonate h-moll

Piano Sonata in B minor

CD |A|D|D| 447 4302 |G|OR|

The Originals

Release: Feb. 1995

From Gramaphone

(Germany Print)

IPB Image

Essential Chopin

Vladimir Ashkenazy

2 CDs | ADDDDD | 00289 473 8762

Int. Release: Jun. 2003

This is a reissue of Chopin: Favorite Piano Works under the "double decker" budget "london" label.

IPB Image

Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No.3

Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Bernard Haitink, Vladimir Ashkenazy

1 CD | DDD | 00289 417 2392

Int. Release: Sep. 1986

I realised Ashkenazy has 4 Rach3 recordings, well i will try this first. Which is the one you guys have?

HMV Citilink

(Germany Print)

IPB Image

Highly recommended by many here how can a marthaphile wannabe resist this...

Music Junction Jurong Pt

(China Print)

IPB Image

CHOPIN Scherzi | Impromptus

4 Scherzi:

No. 1 op. 20 · No. 2 op. 31

No. 3 op. 39 · No. 4 op. 54

3 Impromptus

No. 1 op. 29 · No. 2 op. 36

No. 3 op. 51

Bonus Track

Polonaise No.3 in A, Op 40 No.1 'Military'

Yundi Li

CD |D|D|D| 474 5162 |G|H|

Release: Sep. 2004

1 CD / Download with PDF Booklet

My first album from the 3 Chinese virtuoso. Comes with extras like poster and music video dvd and a bonus track.

Edited by petia

Hi everyone, glad to finally find others who enjoy classical music. I have been eagerly finding classical music khakis for quite some time (although with extremely limited success since most others in my age group are interested in far more modern music) ever since I took my first step into the classical realm with the purchase of Decca's "The very best of Relaxing Classics". I'm hoping that from here I can meet others with similar tastes in Classical music and share some reviews on different CDs.

I mainly prefer exciting pieces, especially those with Piano. I have tried Beethoven with limited success, and although I like several of his more exciting symphonies (3, 5, 9), I still find myself unable to last through all the movements at one go without my mind wandering off. Perhaps it is being young that does not allow me to sit down for extended periods of time without being distracted. Also, it is my strong belief that to enjoy music, one must be able to imagine scenes related to what the composer or artist had in mind at the time of work. I believe that restricts my ability (and possibly everyone else's) to enjoy classical music as being young and not yet well travelled, I am unable to imagine the European environment and terrain Beethoven so loved in his 6th Symphony, "Pastoral". This may also explain why my tastes gravitate to more "spontaneous" works such as Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, and Tchaikovsky's 1812, both of which were made in a very short period of time. Perhaps due to the time limit, it would be difficult for the composers to experiment and research into how to play parts of the work to portray images, and thus they put into play more "raw" energies like feelings and emotions.

[attachmentid=3956]

At the beginning of my interest in Classical, I purchased this CD set from HMV. Rachmaninov remains my favourite composer, largely due to the excitement of his pieces. Rachmaninov's 2nd Piano Concerto remains my favourite classical work to this date.

[attachmentid=3961]

Recently I have taken a liking to Gershwin. His light almost jazzy pieces are new and a refreshing change from listening to too much Piano.

[attachmentid=3960]

Honestly, I only bought this for 1812, but upon listening to the other works on the CD, I realised that Tchaikovsky seems to be a rather quiet and sensitive man. I think I might want to explore further into his other works in the future.

I hope that I can find others who share my tastes. I would also like to ask members of this thread on alternative places to purchase music. HMV presents a rather small selection from what I have seen online. I am also looking to online shops to purchase my music (such as Amazon) thanks to a new Debit card and the weakening of the US Dollar. Thanks to the thread I will also look into the works of Lizst. Are there are recommendations to start out with?

post-2503-1202870875.jpg

post-2503-1202872904.jpg

post-2503-1202873015.jpg

Edited by d23

Glad to see fellow classical music lovers here, if anyone is interested, you can download free recordings of live classical music performances from the Gardner Museum at the following links:

http://www.gardnermuseum.org/music/podcast/theconcert.asp

http://www.gardnermuseum.org/music/library.asp

Lots of variety and new recordings are uploaded every 2-4 weeks.

hmmm, my collection will be a long list, check it out =)

vivaldi 4 season spring, summer, autumn, winter

Spring this movement got a very light feeling and feel like floating in the air!!!

If you guys are interested i can lend you guys my collection=)

I am a classical mad!!!

Maybe because i am a band member =)

anyway, holst composition of the planet is a good choice =)

jupiter is my favorite =)

wow!!!finally found someone same as me...haha...i played the tuba...you still playing now? You in what band? haha

Hmmm, i played once before...Carmen consider? all time favorite =)

Hungarian dance and merry widow?

I hope that I can find others who share my tastes. I would also like to ask members of this thread on alternative places to purchase music. HMV presents a rather small selection from what I have seen online. I am also looking to online shops to purchase my music (such as Amazon) thanks to a new Debit card and the weakening of the US Dollar. Thanks to the thread I will also look into the works of Lizst. Are there are recommendations to start out with?

hey..i also like the 1812 overture =)

anyway, just to let you know, the HMV at hereen offer many range and selection of classical music...something i discover ytd =)

hi blackmouth0, i play the bassoon. *grin*

play here and there for various bands and sometimes for the community orchestras. working now so schedule is bit unpredictable. do you still play?

didn't realise there was a carmen arrangement for symphonic band. interesting.

Li Yundi exclusively records Chopin and Liszt. His :Liszt album have a variety of the more popular works "La Campanella" and "Liebestraum No. 3".

And of course anything played by Martha Argerich is good :thumbup:

IPB Image

Brahms: Violin Concerto and Double Concerto [sA-CD - CD compatible] [HYBRID SACD]

Julia Fischer (Artist), Daniel Müller-Schott (Artist), Johannes Brahms (Composer), Yakov Kreizberg (Conductor), Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra (Orchestra)

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

IPB Image

Complete Beethoven Edition, Vol. 7: Violin Sonatas

Ludwig van Beethoven (Composer), Bruno Canino (Performer), Martha Argerich (Performer), Wilhelm Kempff (Performer), David Garrett (Performer), Gidon Kremer (Performer), Yehudi Menuhin (Performer)

All I can say is: WOW! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: