cmk

Nice classical pieces

A nice collection of Dvalrak's works, including Symphony 8 and 9, 5 Slavonic Dances, Scherzo capriccioso, Ma Vlast and 3 Dances from 'The Bartered Bride'.

Conducted by Karajan, with Berliner Philharmoniker and Wiener Philharmoniker.[attachmentid=3492]

post-442-1152937625_thumb.jpg

Edited by fuwen

ballet music (esp those by tchaikovsky and delibes) is my fav "sub-genre" of classical music. i'm sure the likes of nutcracker, swan lake, sleeping beauty have been recommended...but there are some other great ones like coppelia and slyvia too.

oh and try Dvorak's Cello Concerto and Haydn's Concerto for Trumpet.

I prefer Mozart's compositions for wind instruments...

Here are some good ones..

Mozart's Horn Concertos - Lowell Greer - Harmonia Mundi

Benny Goodman is well known for his jazz but he is also a good classical Clarinet player. His CD "Benny Goodman - Mozart at Tanglewood" is great.

A very nice DVD on Heifetz. The picture quality below average. I watch the program many years back on TV. It was available in Video tape and now finally DVD. Black and white movie and sound in mono mode. But nevertheless a very good footage of Scottish Fantacy.

http://www.fuwen.net/index.php?option=com_...d=65&Itemid=135

post-442-1155393317.jpg

Edited by fuwen

Found another recording by Carlos Kleiber. Beethoven Synphony No. 6 with Bavarian State Orchestra. If u are particular about hifi effect then ignore this one. This CD is made from a cassette tape originally recorded for his son. Strangely this cassette tape survived much better than the original master tape. Sound of this CD is kind of dry and the sound stage fairly compressed. But if u are Kleiber supporter, this recording is the only one and in fact this particular live performance on 7 Nov 1983 was also the only time Kleiver ever conducted a Beethoven 6th.

post-442-1155452522.jpg

A musical joke by Mozart. This particular recording is by Academy of St Martin in the Fields. Instead of performed by small orchestra, the music was presented in the from of chamber music, where you only have one instrument for each part. There are however 2 horns for A Musical Joke. The good point of such instrumentation is that you can hear a lot of details for strings.

The jokes, however are not all very obvious. Some are easily grasped as are stuffs like out of tune and wrong chords, others are subtle and are in the form of wrong musical forms, meaningless repeats and trival musical ideas.

If u are familar with classical music sonata form, and have some basic knowledge of harmony and chords, I believe u will have a good laugh with this piece.

http://www.fuwen.net/index.php?option=com_...d=49&Itemid=104

post-442-1163324941.jpg

Edited by fuwen

I just got this at Gramophone. Very good performance. The dynamics here are excellent. I prefer it over the Karajan one which I have also. The dynamic range of the Symphony No. 9 is so wide, that if you turn the volume on your hifi to hear the extremely pianissimo parts of the work, you'll be blown away when the climax arrives.

IPB Image

Regards

CK

Edited by ckng

IPB Image

this recording of mozart's symphony 40 and 41 using period instruments is beautiful!

Edited by primus

Rachmaninov's piano concerto are very nice too!

This EMI recording by leif ove andsnes is pretty good. it has both concerto no.1 and no.2(which is my favourite)

IPB Image

Lang Lang also has a recording under DG label which has piano concerto no.2 and rhapsody on a theme of paganini. Lang Lang's interpretation is a bit more energetic at times.

hi primus, have you had a chance to listen to the Rachmaninov recordings by Vladimir Ashkenazy? if so, how do they compare to your leif ove andsnes version?

Some slightly late recommendations.

It's still difficult to beat the true; JS Bach. Remember that Beethoven and Mozart both looked up to this man.

Some favourites:

IPB Image

The Goldberg Variations, BWV 988 played on the harpsichord by Celine Frisch. (outstanding recorded quality)

IPB Image

The Goldberg Variations, BWV 988 played on the piano by Glenn Gould. (outstanding recorded quality)

IPB Image

The 2-part Sinfonias and 3-part Inventions, played on the piano by Glenn Gould. (excellent recorded quality)

IPB Image

Mass in B minor, conducted by Klemperer. (outstanding recorded quality)

IPB Image

The Well Tempered Clavier, book 1 played on the piano by Angela Hewitt. (excellent recorded quality)

IPB Image

The Well Tempered Clavier, book 1 played on the harpsichord by Wanda Landowska. (slightly less-than-perfect sound - it was recorded in the 50s - but a compelling listen nonetheless)

As you can see, I have a few repeat recommendations which are just played on different instruments. The piano will likely be the more "accessible" instrument, but I enjoy the harpsichord just as much.

Hi Aaron

Here's another version of Bach's Goldberg Variations I think you should grab:

IPB Image

MA Recordings Catalog Number: M024A

Very good recording of a wonderful alternative performance of this great piece. The piano is a specially tuned Steinway D concert grand (circa 1903) by the performer's husband! The piano is specially tuned for Baroque music, listen for it, it sounds harphischord-like. Highly recommended!!!

Edited by cmk

Thanks for that cmk. Will look into it. :)