cmk

Nice classical pieces

one of favourite rachmaninovs.

IPB Image

Agree! Askenasy's reading of Rachmaninov's 2nd Concerto was well-paced, neither languid nor plodding, melodious. A definative romantic interpretation.

Borodin Symphony no.2 in B minor - Borodin

-Very lively, dark, well its a Russian piece =)

Pictures at an Exhibition - Modest Mussorgsky

Both were well played by Berliner Philharmoniker Orchestra.

Dvorak Symphony no.9 in E minor "From the New World" - Dvorak

Can try the New York Philharmonic for this one.

:D

Edited by hellamatrix

I would sure like to get a DVD of Beethoven Symphony 9 by NHK Symphony Tokyo dir. by Vladimir Ashkenazy. Videos have been on Youtube for a long time but I don't find a DVD.

Anne-Sophie Mutter can be said as one of the best classical violinist in the world. Other than technically perfect in playing, which is the norm nowadays for modern violinists, her playing also has a unique style of her own: colourful, different, and with great dynamics. While it is not difficult to tell the violinist based on his style of playing in the older era, where technical perfection is not present, it is quite difficult to differentiate modern soloists, as all are as technical perfect as they can be, but lack of individual character.

Mutter this 4 CDs album 'Back to the Future' collected her year 2000 spring performances in New York, Frankfurt and Stuttgart. That series of performances were essentially music written in the 20th century. These music are quite different from the classical music in the romantic and classical era. Composers were trying out different musical forms and musical ideas. It is more on the effect of sound than about nice rhythm. It is about unharmonised chords and difficult rhythm. In symphonies the brass and the woodwind are taking over violins playing the main musical ideas.

Music lovers who loves 20th century works, or those who attempting to try these works, I guess Mutter's will not disappoint you with her interpretation in 'Back to the Future'.

http://www.fuwen.net/index.php?option=com_...=130&Itemid=196

post-442-1356923664.jpg

Edited by fuwen

Every year I will not miss attending the Sound and Sight Journal Hifi exhibition organised by my old friend/teacher Mr Tham. Having stop upgrading equipment for so long, the main mission attending the show is to collect the latest CD recordings. There are always very good stuff available for grab.

These few years I had been collecting old classical recordings re-issued by Hugo in their proprietary LPCD format. Some were familiar recordings to me like Carmen-Fantasie by Anne-Sophie, Rossini Overtures conducted by Karajan, my favourite Rossini Strings Sonatas performed by small strings group. Also there were recordings I had not collected like the American music performed by Menuhin and Grappelli, a strange recordings with bird calls Serenata performed by Maastricht Salon Orchestra, or Diabolus in Musica performed by Accardo which was outstanding both in performance and recording.

In this year show I collected few recordings: Violin concertos played by Szeryng, Beethoven piano concertos by Karajan and Weissenberg, Overtures & Intermezzi by Karajan. Also a great recording of David Oistrakh playing The Devil's Trill. The Devil's Trill is a mono recording, but one can already feel the greatness of Oistrakh!

http://www.fuwen.net...=114&Itemid=199

post-442-0-78709200-1368456584.jpg

Edited by fuwen

Mozart The Prussian Quartets, performed by Emerson Quartet

Emerson Quartet moved from DG to Sony Label in 2011. They have been recording with DG since 1987. This is their first recording release under Sony. Moving ahead, the cellist David Finckel will also be leaving the quartet, and taking over the baton is cellist and conductor Paul Watkins.

http://www.fuwen.net/index.php/home/classical-music/emerson-quartet/118-emerson-quartet

post-442-0-10656700-1394009068.jpg

The great Beethoven Ninth (Choral) Symphony. The first classical music with human voices added to the symphony by a well know composer. Now DG has an iPad apps that has 4 versions of the performance, details of the symphony, comments by various artists, composers and reporters, music score and animated instrument presentation.

http://www.fuwen.net/index.php/home/classical-music/beethoven-ninth/120-beethoven-ninth

dg_sacd650.jpg

Edited by fuwen

ipad1_650.jpg Edited by fuwen