cmk

Nice classical pieces

user posted image

Beethoven: The Violin Sonatas [bOX SET]

Reviews of this set are mixed. It is certainly not a stright-and-narrow Beethoven performance. If you are familiar with these works, you are in for a few surprises in Mutter's interpretation; her phrasing, use of vibrato and rubato may be a bit disconcerting to those familiar with the standard recordings of Menuhin and Kempff.

But listen to them again and you begin to hear a new freshness to these works. The wild tempi and free dynamics give way to a powerful lyricism that Beethoven would surely have approved of.

Buy this CD set for a new listening experience. A fresh approach to Beethoven, and a truly satisfying feast of music.

Beethoven: The Violin Sonatas [bOX SET]

Reviews of this set are mixed. It is certainly not a stright-and-narrow Beethoven performance. If you are familiar with these works, you are in for a few surprises in Mutter's interpretation; her phrasing, use of vibrato and rubato may be a bit disconcerting to those familiar with the standard recordings of Menuhin and Kempff.

But listen to them again and you begin to hear a new freshness to these works. The wild tempi and free dynamics give way to a powerful lyricism that Beethoven would surely have approved of.

Buy this CD set for a new listening experience. A fresh approach to Beethoven, and a truly satisfying feast of music.

Totally agree. Anyway there is probably no point for Mutter to record the sonatas again as what have been played. I am quite agreeable to her interpretation though. The pianist wetn along well with her also.

Also I believe the whole set is live recording, done during her Beethoven Sonatas cycle of performance.

We can basically break classical music into 3 different period...

i think you've forgotten completely the classical period (not to be confused with the term classical music).

the classical period came directly after the baroque period and was defined by clean notations and relatively sparse intrumentation. it was, iirc, a backlash against the 'excesses' of the baroque period.

mozart or clementi would be examples of composers who composed classical period pieces.

I mentioned about the Mahler 6th in my previous post here and recomended a value for money Telarc 3-CD Benjamin Zander recording. However, Zander and Philharmonia performance was not as well controlled and accurate as this Karajan recording: DG 457 716-2. Karajan is very convincing. In this version the Scherzo was played before the Andante, the order that was also preferred by Zander. However, I think Karajan did ommit the 3rd hammer blow in the last movement.

post-11-1117675449.jpg

Hi all,

Glad to find some Mahler's music lover here. Haven't been listening to Mahler's music for quite some time actually, as i felt the music can be quite depressing and stressful at times, but do not get me wrong they are great pieces of music and I love them.

I'd like to share with you some great performance I've listened to, and hope to hear some comments from you.

Symphony No.2 "Resurrection" -

Philharmonia Orchestra, Otto Klemperer (EMI)

I would prefer this to Sir Simon Rattles' with CBSO

Symphony No.3 -

CBSO, Sir Simon Rattles (EMI)

Symphony No.5 -

New Philharmonia Orchestra, Sir John Barbirolli (EMI)

Symphony No.6 -

Royal Concertgebouw, Riccardo Chailly (Decca)

this is the only copy i have, not too satisfied with it though.. =(

Symphony No.8 -

Chicago SO, Solti

anyone knows if Jascha Horestein had recorded this symphony before?

Symphony No.9 -

Berliner Philharmoniker, Karajan (live recording)

New Philharmonia, Klemperer (double cds with R Strauss' Siegfried Idyll)

Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, Bruno Walter (1938, new Naxos Historical version restored by Mark Obert-Thorn is better)

That's all. Cheers

for mahler, i own the following:

Symphony 1 & Symphony 5

Bernstein, VPO

DG Panorama 469154

Symphony 2 [favourite performance]

Litton, Dallas SO

DELOS 3237

Symphony 2

Rattle, CBSO

EMI 47962

Symphony 2

Bernstein, NYPO

SONY 63159

Symphony 4

Szell, Cleveland Orch

SONY 46535

Symphony 6

Rattle, CBSO

EMI 54047

Symphony 7

Bernstein, NYPO

SONY 60564

Symphony 8

Solti, Chicago SO

DECCA 460972

Symphony 9 - live version

Karajan, Berliner Philharmoniker

DG 439024

hmm... How about the Beethoven symphonies?

Is Karajan's ones good or other conductors ?

Hi! Atempo, I am a Karajan supporter and thus would say that u can go presto with Karajan's Beethoven Symphonies. Some people dun like him though.

He recorded the complete Beethoven 9 Symphonies (if I can remember correctly) 4 times in his life, 1st with EMI (correct me if I am wrong) and the other 3 with DG. If u are talking about recording quality and technology then his last cycle of the Beethoven with DG is the best but at the age of 70-80 his control of the Berlin Phil is not as good as the others. Some people say his first cycle with DG is the best but I guess the recording is a bit rough. The performance is forceful and energertic though.

I have the 60s DG first recordings, the 70s 2nd DG recordings and some of the 80s last DG recordings.

DG has cut the 60s complete Symphonies into SACD version. Only the 9th of the 70s recordings is cut into the SACD version.

However, lately people are perfroming the Jonathan Del Mar version of the Beethoven Symphonies. I have the set performed by Abbado and Berlin but sorry I am not good enough to tell u what is the difference between the Del Mar edition with the rest. But I would say Karajan version is worth considering.

Hmm...for the whole Beethoven Symphonies set I prefer Karajan's 60s ones then the 80s lost recordings.

But for single pieces, I would recommend Otto Klemperer's 3, Carlos Kleiber's 5&7, Bruno Walter's 4&6.

For the hallowed ninth, there are just too many good choices. The piece currently I enjoy most is conducted by Furtwangler in 1942 tongue.gif

Hi all,

Glad to find some Mahler's music lover here. Haven't been listening to Mahler's music for quite some time actually, as i felt the music can be quite depressing and stressful at times, but do not get me wrong they are great pieces of music and I love them.

I'd like to share with you some great performance I've listened to, and hope to hear some comments from you.

Symphony No.2 "Resurrection" -

Philharmonia Orchestra, Otto Klemperer (EMI)

I would prefer this to Sir Simon Rattles' with CBSO

Symphony No.3 -

CBSO, Sir Simon Rattles (EMI)

Symphony No.5 -

New Philharmonia Orchestra, Sir John Barbirolli (EMI)

Symphony No.6 -

Royal Concertgebouw, Riccardo Chailly (Decca)

this is the only copy i have, not too satisfied with it though.. =(

Symphony No.8 -

Chicago SO, Solti

anyone knows if Jascha Horestein had recorded this symphony before?

Symphony No.9 -

Berliner Philharmoniker, Karajan (live recording)

New Philharmonia, Klemperer (double cds with R Strauss' Siegfried Idyll)

Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, Bruno Walter (1938, new Naxos Historical version restored by Mark Obert-Thorn is better)

That's all. Cheers

Yes ! Jascha Horenstein #8 alongside with Lorrin Mazzel Sony's #8 and Bernstein Sony #8 are among the greatest #8. Ever found on recording...

The Horenstein #8 is available for borrowing at the Esplanade library. Very interesting. It's a live recording, in 1954. Of course, mono, but reproduced as man made stereo. Interm of performance, this is my #1 choice ! Especially the final climax. Too great a reading !

As for #2, Honestly I don't like Klemperer. He'd suffered a stroke way long before he did this recording. I'd believe, he is a good conductor, if he's not having the stroke, in his early days... He very often had clampped down the climax which he slowly build up, from the quiet passage, leaving the contrast of dynamics really limited. This is no Mahler..... If one had studied the way Mahler conducted his orchestra. Although he had a real stong cast on his singer such as my favorit mezzo Chista Ludwig, or/and on some other performance, my prima donna Scharwazkopf !

As for the 3rd. I haven't found the Horenstein recording... But todate, the best I'd heard is the Bernstein 1960's cycle, re-issued by Sony/CBS

#5 form Sir John, again is not among my favorite. Too dragging on the tempo. There were simply too many great #5 available in the market. The Inbal Denon's recording, is great in his starting, it's announcing to the world on the trumpet solo on it's funeral openning, however, it's getting worse and worse, at the later part.... If I'm "showing off" my hifi, I'd choose Inbal for the first 3 minutes ! That's it.

Safe bet is Karajan on the #5.

I'm sorry but, Fuwen !

Karajan had never ever completed the Mahler cycle, although he had left a real great #5 #6, but a lacklustre #4. His #9 no doubts is a great reading. Alongside with His Das Lied von de Erde on DG which is one of my most treasured Das Lied ever. The third Hammer blow is not only ommited by Karajan, too many conductors had ommitted the 3 hammer blow, because this blow is syndicating "Death" and ommited it for "Pantang" reasons ! biggrin.gif

#7 is one of the most difficult to me, It will take another few year for me to study alongside with the score. This is the only Mahler I cannot understand.

I'd just heard the news Giulini had passed away about a month ago. at the age of 83 or 93 ?Aiiiiii..... ! One more of the great conductor had gone !

Edited by LaoMao

Jiun is sharp in pointing out Bruno Walter. As a disciple/assistant/student sudied under Mahler. And had witnessed Mahler composing his work, and tried it out on the piano.... He is the most authoritive conductor of Mahler's music. The greatest #9 (Both performance and sound) however, is not the mono #9 but Bruno Walter's stereo recording with NYP in the early 60s.

Oh Yes! Almost forgotten.... the stereo Das Lied by Bruno, re-issued by Denon. recorded one month before he died. Too great a Das Lied. I'd heard this copy over a friend's place, but still could not find a copy yet, should any kind soul found this recording, would you kindly notify me, where can I buy a copy ?

Jiun is sharp in pointing out Bruno Walter. As a disciple/assistant/student sudied under Mahler. And had witnessed Mahler composing his work, and tried it out on the piano.... He is the most authoritive conductor of Mahler's music. The greatest #9 (Both performance and sound) however, is not the mono #9 but Bruno Walter's stereo recording with NYP in the early 60s.

Oh Yes! Almost forgotten.... the stereo Das Lied by Bruno, re-issued by Denon. recorded one month before he died. Too great a Das Lied. I'd heard this copy over a friend's place, but still could not find a copy yet, should any kind soul found this recording, would you kindly notify me, where can I buy a copy ?

laugh.gif This is version has been recently praised by Hu Wen Yan in Lian He Zao Bao !on July 26th. 2005. Honestly I do not 100% agree to Miss Hu, (please, no offence !) in her view point, particulary, violin playing !! but both Miss Hu and myself would rate this version as our top choice of Das Lied.

Just too great a reading, and Canadian, Maureen Forester singing is upto behold. One of the most neglected great mezzo of 20th century ! Haiiii.... ! no.gif perhaps she had hit a standard so high, few could appreciate ! tongue.gif

I called Miss Hu, and ask her where she bought her's copy, she replied, that it was purchased, in one of the used record shop in London. Anyway, the Denon re-issue is different in cover design as per the one appeard in zbNOW Pg 02.

This is a must for all Mahler's fans !

The Horenstein #8 is available for borrowing at the Esplanade library. Very interesting. It's a live recording, in 1954. Of course, mono, but reproduced as man made stereo. Interm of performance, this is my #1 choice ! Especially the final climax. Too great a reading !

hi LaoMao,

Is the Horenstein #8 from BBC? I saw it at HMV Heeren but the year recorded on the back of the CD cover says 1959 (IIRC).