cmk

Nice classical pieces

Agree Lang Lange is astounding in his talent and performance. I was certainly impressed with this chap after I heard him performed under the baton of Zubin Mehta and NYPO at the Esplanade.

Hi,

can someone enlighten me on what does the 'BWV XXXx' at the end of pieces listing means?

I was mainly listening, only recently then i really read the sleeves,

btw,

any recommendation on Orchestral suite No.3 in D Major, BWV 1068? Bach?

Thanks

any good recommendations on bach and pachelbel?

Think Pachebel and the Canon pops up. Think Bach and Brandenburg Concerto comes to mind. I gather U like Baroque music.

i got some studio gibli pieces in orchestra mode ^^ if i can upload then ok i'll share:)

This is a forum for sharing of ideas and opinions and never files of any sort for it will occupy our bandwidth unnecessarily. Thank U.

Edited by Mackie

Unless U're really particular of the conductor and orchestra and have a favourite emsemble, U can't go wrong with any of the following classical labels ie, Decca, Philips, Archiv, Deutsche Grammophone, EMI, Telarc etc. I personally love Baroque music released under Archiv.

Edited by Mackie

i love "AIR" on G-string by Bach, use it for my revision everytime. I normally go for conductors or orchestras when buying my cds, my preference conductor for baroque or romantic pieces will be Karajan and another Japanese conductor (which I forgot who). As for orchestras, will normally go US based orchestra (such as Chicago, New York) or Vienna.

Personally I felt that for Baroque music Sir Neville Marriner and Academy of St Martin in the Field will be a good choice. Sir Neville Marriner controlls the tempo of the Baroque music well (not fast not slow just right) and ASMIF orchestra has very nice strings which IMHO goes very well with baroque music.

Marriner and ASMF is certainly my no. 1 choice for Mozart's music. Back to Baroque, I also favour Trevor Pinnock and the English Concert on authentic period instruments, Chris Hogwood and Academy of Ancient Music and last but not least, Música Antiqua Kohln.

Edited by Mackie

Japanese conductor

Seiji Ozawa of Boston Symphony Orchestra?

errrr, actually I really can't remember, listen to him when I was in Japan in a CD shop and was really impressed by his style. But it's too long ago, can't remember. Another orchestra just came to my mind, recording from Berlin Orchestra is also pretty good.

Would like to recommend the followings:

Saint-Saens Symphony No. 3 'Organ Symphony'

Moussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition

Pentatone SACD Edo de Waart conducting Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra

As the nick name implies, the Symphony No. 3 by Saint-Saens was written with the use of an organ. The use of organ made a special musical feeling at the quite 2nd movement and a very grand entry at the last movement.

Picture at an Exhibition is originally written for piano but Moussorgsky's good friend Ravel had converted it into a very interesting orchestra version in this recording. In fact the orchestra version is very much popular than the original piano version and also this is a particular piece that audiophiles like. It is about, as the title says, various pictures displayed at an exhibition. As the pictures are different, the music are also very different in mood and character. The music consists of a total of 15 parts, each part is different and Ravel used different solo instrument to create the different mood appropriate for the parts. Out of the 15 I am quite sure there should be at least a few that will suite your musical taste but of course even if you listen to the parts continuously the transitions are smooth and logical.

This is a Pentatone Quadro recording. The recordings were done in 1976(Saint Saens) and in 1974 (Moussorgsky). It is surprise that at that time some of the Philips engineers already believe in multi-channel recording and these old recordings were done in a 4-channel mode. Unfortunately the hardware did not pick up for 4-channel and u know by now what actually became popular are 5.1 and etc. To date with the invention of SACD, these old recordings were then given a new life by some ex-Philips engineers now in Pentatone who made use of the 5.1 capability of the SACD. In order to preserve what was originally intended these old recordings were remaster into 4 channels only as what they were recorded and presented to us.

post-11-1100659570.jpg

Edited by fuwen

Liszt was a genius both as a piano virtuoso and a piano composer. His Piano concerto no 1 and 2 are energetic and full of new ideas.

The version I have was played by Krystian Zimerman, the very good and detailed Seiji Ozawa conducting the Boston Symphony Orchestra. DG 423 571-2.

I believe his piano concertos will appeal even to classical beginers.

Note: I have collected a fair bit of DG recordings. One of the reasons is I like the artists under the DG label and the other is as a serious amateur photographer I like the photo on the CD cover of the performing artists.

post-11-1101699424.jpg

Edited by fuwen