cmk

Nice classical pieces

Marriner and ASMF is certainly my no. 1 choice for Mozart's music. Back to Baroque, I also favour Trevor Pinnock and the English Concert on authentic period instruments, Chris Hogwood and Academy of Ancient Music and last but not least, Música Antiqua Kohln.

Don't forget Raymond Leppard with the English Chamber Orchestra.

Well, U'll know how deep U've gotten into classical music when U start to understand and enjoy Mahler.

Clap Clap claps... Mackie !

Woa ! You also listen to Mahler ?! yes.gif

I'd have one more pal/friend in the same frequency !

Best Regards!

LaoMao

Was talking about this in the Beethoven Violin Concerto thread and I think this recording is well worth recommending:

Great Recordings of the Century

EMI Classics 7243 5 66902 2 6

Beethoven triple concerto ( I believe the only one in this form with 3 solo instruments violin, cello and piano )

Brahms double concerto ( for violin and cello )

The triple concerto was played by Oistrakh, Rostropovich and Richter, with Berlin Philharmoniker conducted by Karajan. 5 superstars in 1 recording! My only complaint about this recording is that the piano was not recorded that well compared to the very good piano recordings.

The Double Concerto was played by Oistrakh and Rostropovich, Szell conducting the Cleveland Orchestra.

post-11-1103251332.jpg

Edited by fuwen

This is a nice recording of Rachmaninov Piano concerto no. 2 and the Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini.

DECCA London 417 702-2

Vladimir Ashkenazy on piano, Andre Previn conducting London Symphony Orchestra.

Rachmaninov wrote very romantic piano concertos.

The Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini is in the form of a theme and 24 variations. In particular the 18th variation, where the composer very cleverly play the original theme in the reverse manner and how beautiful a new variation he had created.

post-11-1103686950.jpg

This is a very good live performance by the very well know Martha Argerich. U just cannot resist the fire and sparks in her matured and wonderful performances.

Philips 446 673-2

Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 3

Riccardo Chailly conducting RSO Berlin

Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1

Kondrashin conducting Symphonie-Orchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks

I would highly recommended this.

post-11-1103687183.jpg

Erik Satie is alien to me. Classical? Can papaya86 or Laomao elaborates more for me? Thanks.

i find his piano compositions really really nice and alternate. very unqiue. he was from the 1860's and when he was alive, he wasnt really famous for his works. its nearing our time that pple started to appreciate his music. his music was ahead of his time, as he himself said "i was born in this world too young in a time too old". i really like his 3 gymnopedie compositions, currently my favourite classical pieces. i really recommend this fella's compositions. i already asked sing music to bring in a couple of EMI recordings of some artists doing his works, bout a month of waiting time. heres a website that offers some sample clips of his works http://www.af.lu.se/~fogwall/samples.html try the gymopedie clip, the piano in this one is painfully bright though, could use a warmer tone for such a piece, thats his best composition in my opinion, a pretty sad piece, guess he wasnt really a happy person back then given his loner personality.

Edited by papaya86

user posted image

RODRIGO:-

Side 1. "Concierto de Aranjuez"

Featuring Siegfried BEHREND (guitar).

With the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. Conductor:- Reinhard PETERS.

Side 2. "Concerto Serenade for Harp and Orchestra"

Featuring Nicanor ZABALETA (harp).

With the Radio Symphony Orchestra of Berlin. Conductor:- Ernst MARZENDORFER

Spanish music of Rodrigo. Heard this many times on the radio, but only recently picked up a nice version of this music. The Concierto de Aranjuez is particularly good.

user posted image

Neville Marriner / Academy Of St Martin-In-The-Fields

with Thurston Dart & William Bennett

J.S. Bach : Orchestral Suites 1-4 BWV 1066-69

Decca Label

Great value. 4 Suites in 1 CD. Marriner/ASMF as usual excellent.

And of course, Suite No. 3 has the famous "Air" piece.

We can basically break classical music into 3 different period...

1. The Baroque Era, great composer such as Bach, Corelli, Vivaldi....

2. The Romatic Era, The baroque has just too much of rules, such as the seizure of use of vibrato on a violin, The thrill has to start with the sharp note follow by the original note.... The romatic era, has basically discared all this limitation in baroque, the greatest composer of this period, I'd vote Beethoven. He is so futuristic, especially his string quarttet, very often, I'd reard them having a higher height than his symphonies in terms of level of art.

3. The late romatic era, this is the period closest to out living time, and the artistic level in symphonic composing has escaelate to a whole new level, the composition, very often requires a much bigger size orchestra, than the romatic era. and This is the end of human's classical music after Mahler's death at 1911. Although Richard strauss lives many many more years, but he had seized himself from composing. The gretatest composers are Anton Bruckner, Gustav Mahler, Richard strauss, And Rachmaninov.

Since than, classical music had been transformed into impressionist, and later 20th century music.

Violin playing is of special interest with me...

I particularly like the Frank Sonata composed for violin.

Anyway, although I'm still very busy, I'd an very interesting DVD, performed by Yehudi Menuhin, and his sister Hephzibach Menuhin. I guessed not too many had watch this program. I'd watch the Frank Sonata playing, both of them played without score. It's simply fantastic. Hephzibach's piano playing is simply too good to be true. Her playing excelled alot of proffesional playeres !

Hi, CMK

can we organize to watch this program over your's place ? for our small group of friends having the common interest here ?

user posted image

Just stumbled on this at Gramophone.

Neville Marriner / Academy Of St Martin-In-The-Fields

Mozart : 4 Horn Concertos + Oboe Concerto

Alan Civil (Horn) & Neil Black (Oboe)

Philips "50 Great Recordings"

96kHz 24-bit super digital transfer

For those interested, Canadian Brass will be performing Bach at the Esplanade.

Hi, CMK

can we organize to watch this program over your's place ? for our small group of friends having the common interest here ?

Hi Lao Mao

Sorry for the late reply, as I only pop in occassionally. Watching the DVD at my place is of course fine. When would you like to do this and how many are you expecting?