cmk

Nice classical pieces

Lately I've been listening to Rossini's Overtures. Two versions on LP are by Reiner with the ChicagoSO and the other is by Riccardo Chailly with the National PO.

user posted image

user posted image

The Reiner version is the reference, very good performances which captures the electricity of the music, particularly the famous William Tell piece. The Riccardo version on London is very well recorded, and it too has its charms. There's a bit of playfulness in the 2nd movement which is done very well.

This is a nice one to recommend:

James Galway Wings of Song DG 477 5236

Easy listening and nice mix of classicals and popular works.

Guess no stranger to forumners here as Galway has been a household name for many years. I am not ware that during the period from 1969 to 1975 he was actually the principal flute of Berlin Philharmonic and had been Karajan's first flute for 6 years. So for that 6 years he had been playing in most of the recordings made by Karajan.

post-11-1110160847.jpg

Edited by fuwen

user posted image

Liszt Piano Concertos 1 and 2

Sviatoslav Richter / London Symphony Orchestra / Kiril Kondrashin

Great music from a master pianist.

user posted image

TCHAIKOVSKY VIOLIN CONCERTO in D Major, Op. 35 & MENDELSSOHN VIOLIN CONCERTO in E Minor, Op. 64

Solid recordings of the Tchaikovsky & Mendelssohn with the ever popular KYUNG-WHA CHUNG with the Orchestre Symphonique de Montreal conducted by CHARLES DUTOIT.

user posted image

BRUCH VIOLIN CONCERTO in G Minor, Op. 26 & MENDELSSOHN VIOLIN CONCERTO in E Minor, Op. 64

Strong recordings of the Bruch & Mendelssohn performed by ANNE-SOPHIE MUTTER with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by HERBERT VON KARAJAN.

CAT. NO. 2532 016 on Deutsche Grammophon Records

user posted image

BRUCH VIOLIN CONCERTO No. 1 & SCOTTISH FANTASIA FOR VIOLIN AND ORCHESTRA, Op. 46

Strong recording of the Bruch with the ever popular KYUNG-WHA CHUNG with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by RUDOLF KEMPE.

CAT. NO. SXL 6573 on Decca Records

This is a nice collection for Brahms lovers:

Johannes Brahms Quintette . Sextette

(op. 18, 34, 36, 88, 111, 115) DG 419875-2

A total of 3 CDs.

I do not listen a lot to Brahms so not sure whether this is a complete collection of his chamber music with 5 and 6 members in a group.

The main performers are Amadeus Quartet and with other performers to make up the extra viola, cello, piano or clarenet.

In particular I am quite moved by 2nd movement of String Sextet op 18 (CD1 track 2), the first movement of Piano Quintet op 34 (CD2 track 1), the last movement of String Quintet op 88 (CD2 track 7) and the first movement of Clarinet Quintet op 115 (CD3 track 5).

post-11-1111564493.jpg

I have been long eyeing this DVD of Heifetz. I had seen the documentary very very long ago on TV and since then cannot forget Heifetz final entry in the last movement of the Scottish Fantasy, he himself conducting.

I am aware that this is available on VHS but finally the DVD version arrived. My friend from US hand carried this to me so not sure whether this DVD already available in Singapore.

Picture quality is so-so, probably due to the old age of the original. Title of the DVD is 'Heifetz in Performance'. All the footages of Heifetz performing are in black and white. Sound is mono.

A music CD came with this DVD and fairly good recordings and most of them in stereo!

Heitetz lover should not go very wrong with this.

post-11-1114582979.jpg

Edited by fuwen

I have been long eyeing this DVD of Heifetz. I had seen the documentary very very long ago on TV and since then cannot forget Heifetz final entry in the last movement of the Scottish Fantasy, he himself conducting.

I am aware that this is available on VHS but finally the DVD version arrived. My friend from US hand carried this to me so not sure whether this DVD already available in Singapore.

Picture quality is so-so, probably due to the old age of the original. Title of the DVD is 'Heifetz in Performance'. All the footages of Heifetz performing are in black and white. Sound is mono.

A music CD came with this DVD and fairly good recordings and most of them in stereo!

Hi fuwen,

Hey, I think I saw the tv programme to many many years ago..

may I know where could be found in Singapore ? thanx

Hi fuwen,

Hey, I think I saw the tv programme to many many years ago..

may I know where could be found in Singapore ? thanx

Hi! Sorry, as I said I got mine from overseas so really not aware who is selling in Singapore. Guess u can try HMV or Grammophone (near Capitol building that one).

Hi, anybody can tell me where can get a better range of classical Music such as those VIolin / piano pieces..etc .. went to HMV and Gramaphone but they don't seem to have alot there.

Hi, anybody can tell me where can get a better range of classical Music such as those VIolin / piano pieces..etc .. went to HMV and Gramaphone but they don't seem to have alot there.

Sing Music 2nd floor Lucky Plaza.

Tchaikovsky Complete String Quartets (with Souvenir de Florence)

Chandos CHAN 9871(2) 2CD set

Well performed, good recording, u collect all quartets by Tchaikovsky in 1 set.

Souvenir de Florence is a Sextet for 2 violins, 2 violas and 2 cellos. Mstislav Rostropovich as the second cello.

post-11-1115798061.jpg

Pleasant baraque recording, breathtaking virtuosity of the soloist, good orchestra support.

Concerto Veneziana, Giuliano Carmignola as solo violin, Andrea Marcon conducting Venice Baroque Orchestra.

DG 00289 474 5172. Also available in SACD version.

2 violin concertos from Vivaldi, 1 from Locatelli and one from Tartini.

post-11-1115798332.jpg