cmk

Nice classical pieces

$$ ..

Yes, it's pretty expensive. $69 for the disc. I wonder if it's 2 discs. I've bought the Mahler No 6 by Karajan, 2 discs and it only costs $41.

A nice Haydn collection of string quartets by Emerson String Quartets. Not the complete string quartet works from Haydn.

The 2-CD set was release for the 25th Anneiversary of Emerson String Quartet. There is a third bonus disc with single movement compilation from their various string quartet recordings.

DG 471 327-2

post-11-1128927096.jpg

Bumped into this DVD of Beethoven 4 and 7 symphonies by Carlos Kleiber. His recordings have been wonderful (though may not be audiophile) and now can admire his conducting style. Will also post the photo of the rest if the Kleiber Recordings I had.

http://www.fuwen.net/index.php?option=com_...id=16&Itemid=48

post-11-1139549064.jpg

Edited by fuwen

Beethoven 5 and 7. CD, made in Japan Gold CD, SACD

post-11-1139549135.jpg

Dvorak Piano Concerto

post-11-1139549172.jpg

Schubert Sym 3 and 8

post-11-1139549216.jpg

Verdi 2-SACD

post-11-1139549255.jpg

user posted image

RODRIGO:-

Side 1. "Concierto de Aranjuez"

Featuring Siegfried BEHREND (guitar).

With the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. Conductor:- Reinhard PETERS.

Side 2. "Concerto Serenade for Harp and Orchestra"

Featuring Nicanor ZABALETA (harp).

With the Radio Symphony Orchestra of Berlin. Conductor:- Ernst MARZENDORFER

Spanish music of Rodrigo. Heard this many times on the radio, but only recently picked up a nice version of this music. The Concierto de Aranjuez is particularly good.

i missed playing concerto de aranjuez 2nd movement. i still remembering hunting for the score for it online, to realize that rodrigo had actively launched legislative threats to people who "violated" the copyright by posting the score online.

got fed up and ended up listening and self transcribing most of it. on a solo guitar's a lot more soulful than what you get with the orchestra.

then again a recommendation, julian bream's version of concerto de aranjuez, not sure which symphonic orchestra he did it with.. i misplaced the album cover already, but i felt it was quite an excellent version. the unique creamy sound of a hermann hauser guitar is well put forth, i wanted a similar guitar rather badly back then, but those days a hauser was going for abt 20k. couldnt even afford a ramirez, not to say a hauser lol.

if you like guitar music, try narciso yepes, the man with the 10 string classical too.

my fav composers for classical guitar would be isaac albeniz, spanish classical, asturias, sevillas, cordoba, etc are excellent tracks. i had not found any spanish classical composer who could capture the spain in such a soulful manner. his music is characterised by either a very melancholic soulful minor key intro, followed by a positive sounding major bridge, and a minor outro, vice versa. bach music on guitar's pretty nice too, i.e. bach's chaconne, fugue in g minor.. great stuff..

as for guitarists,

alirio diaz's representation have a very spanish edge to it,

john william being rather perfect and clinical sounding (excellent guitar used for recording though, the famous greg smallman guitars.. with crystaline trebles),

julian breams - very lute-like playing of the guitar, quick fingered,

christopher parkening - technically superior, very perfect renditions

pepe romero - very dynamic, definitely puts a certain "feel" and emotion into his music.

yes.gif

hmm.. one of my favourite classical pieces..

tchaikovsky's 1812 overture by erich kunzel & cincinnati symphony orchestra with digital cannons

speaker killers, but its nice laugh.gif

hmm.. one of my favourite classical pieces..

tchaikovsky's 1812 overture by erich kunzel & cincinnati symphony orchestra with digital cannons

speaker killers, but its nice laugh.gif

If this is the Telarc recording. You should see the size of the record groove amplitude on the record. It was fun to see the cartridge make the "huge" movement when the needle hit that part. Ah, memories. biggrin.gif

Sorry for bringing up this old thread.