Sign in to follow this  
wil

Beyer Headphones

Hey guys, im thinking of getting Beyer headphones for my first system ( Either a 531 or a 880 ) I've heard alot of good things about the 531s (groovalizer!) or perhaps a Grado SR225. My system is nothing spectacular Marantz CD-63 SE to BBE audio restoration system to NAD AMP 3155 ( but i think it can drive phones with 600 impedence! haha) Would the phones be powered well here? ( or even overpowered ) Oh yeah, and where can i get the best deals on the cans? thx in advance!

Beyer 431/531 have been discontinued but I'm still able to get DT331 which costs below S$100. Some headphone stages on cdps and amps can sound decent but a dedicated headamp will always sound better but this can be included in the later stage. For example, a Mackie mixer can drive headphones up to 1000 ohms according to their techie but my experience told me specs means nothing relative to sound for my Beyer cans sounded dry out of the mixer.

If U're interested in Beyers, try them out at my place and as and when U've decided on a particular pair U like, I will order them for U and it will definitely cost lesser than street prices. In the meantime, U should also audition other makes like Senn, Grado etc.

Edited by Mackie

The DT-880 is a nice can and Mackie can get a sweet deal on it :-)

However it really needs an amp. I don't know if you amp is up to it. Best to ask Mackie if you could bring your amp to his place to try out the 880. If you live near queensway shopping centre, contact me and bring you amp down. I do have the DT-880, DT-431, DT-931.