Sipher

portable headphone amps

Has anyone heard a C-moy next to a Grado RA-1 and compared the 2. I ask for a very simple reason. If anyone has and they do sound similar/same.

I might be able to do that in July when a friend will be getting a wallwart powered CMOY.

LOL. Oak, I had forgotten about that thread. Watching Hirsch and Kelly doing "battle" with their respective ensemble.

Fact is the RA-1 is a good sounding unit and looks like a c-moy won't be in the same ball park.

Hirsch seems to favour the RA-1 over the Corda HA-1 while Kelly is firmly in the Corda HA-1 camp.

Just goes to show different strokes for different folks.

I remember that thread too. My earlier comments were obiously in jest but I'm still interested to hear the difference.

N@Z,

I know. Just wish someday I can have a proper shop stocked with RKV, Creek, Corda, EarMax, EAR, Grado, AKG, Sennheiser, Beyer, Ultrasone, META 42s, Headroom etc.

I just sit back, smoke a Romeo & Juliet (no Cohibas pls) and swirl some nice whiskey and wait for the money to roll in LOL.

You bet Rameish. When the day comes, i will pay you visit like every two days, bringing new cans and discs to match your amps, sipping whisky and wines like nobody's business, then we talk about rolling out more services not just here but up north and south, churning SGD, RM, IDR, etc...while laughing our ways to the banks. innocent.gif

Btw, i share the views of Hirsch and Kelly, i love both gears for right matching, and pls don't blame me as fence seater happy.gifwink.gif

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with the CMoy sound. That's how I started driving cans in the first place. The problem is I just can't accept the fact that it's a CMoy housed in maghony (spelling?) but costing as much, if not more, than the Corda HA-1.

Has anyone heard a C-moy next to a Grado RA-1 and compared the 2. I ask for a very simple reason. If anyone has and they do sound similar/same. I might get a c-moy built and sold for guys who can't afford either the Grado or a Porta Corda II.

With the high Euro the Porta Corda is getting expensive. Most people in this forum don't know enough abt electronics to build an amp.

Are there any Poly triple E students here who wish to embark on the endevour with me?

good good! cool.gif

how much does a diy C-Moy cost??

if it's cheap n good i might get 1. smile.gif

There should be used units for sale in Head-Fi For Sale/Trade Forum that will give you an indicative cost.

The red one looks gorgeous, it only costs US$40. I am going to sell my RA-1 in exchange for 3 new C-Moys and save the balance for a used HP-890 and a seasoned Audioquest Emerald Interconnect wink.gif

Btw, who is willing and able to build the C-Moy ? i am interested to fund it. wink.gif

Oak,

Is the RA-1 circuit a c-moy?

Yes. Positive on that. I've got a link where some guy open up the RA-1.

The only difference is that it uses a opamp model no JR 4556, which someone else had commented that it's just a normal one, nothing special.

At the input stage, it has the same high pass filter design as the CMoy. The gain is controlled by through the input and feedback resistors. It doesn't add any current buffers at the output stage.

Link to Exposed Grado RA-1