Sign in to follow this  
av98m

Damaging to the headphones

On almost the same reasoning, you should plug out the headphones first before switching off the amp or disconnecting the source. Most modern amps wouldn't have a problem but the resultant spike in voltage might be dangerous to the wellbeing of your cans.

Any truth to this statement? I've never unplugged any headphones from my amp before turning it off.

It's from my own observation. When I use on some mini-hifi or something, there is a "piak" sound when I turn off the power supply. The Denon amp I am using cuts off the speakers and phone output before powering down. And it actually turns on the speakers and phone output 5 secs after I turn on the amp. So, I believe there is some truth to it, or why would the engineers bother with the implementation?

Any truth to this statement? I've never unplugged any headphones from my amp before turning it off.

On some equipment, the power surge upon activation can damage drivers. It's akin to hearing the pop when U switched on your pc speaker system. That's why some amps have relays to alleviate this risk.

Edited by Mackie

Well, I get the 'piak' sound both when turning on and turning off my amp. Does that mean my headphones cannot be plugged in during the turning on and off process? I'm throughly confused.

AV98m, if you hear the 'piak', my suggestion is that you should not plug in during the off/on process. I believe the chances of it actually sustaining permanent damage is low but why risk it?

That's why some amps have relays to alleviate this risk.

Yep, I think my amp has that. But I am really not sure if it 100% will cause damage or not.

AV98m, if you hear the 'piak', my suggestion is that you should not plug in during the off/on process. I believe the chances of it actually sustaining permanent damage is low but why risk it?

I do not know a single person that does that. And so far all the amps I've tried do have some sound during the on/off process. Does ANYONE here actually remove his/her cans before turning on/off??

If so please comment.

Edited by av98m

If this seriously needs discussion i believe we should start a new thread or have the irrelavent posts split into another thread. I believe the thread starter would like to see his question being answered.

That said, let's keep this all on topic.

animepower: I guess it really depends on your listening volume and how well it will drive the K1000. Listenable volume I'm sure its not much of a problem. I see that you currently own the X-cans V3. I believe if you really have tried the K1000 like its sonic characteristics, you can get it first, and then go around audition it with different amps. That is if you are very sure the cans sound really great to you and you will no regret.

Edited by lekguan

I've also been told that turning amps on and off without a load(headphones) may damage them. So we now have 2 conflicting pieces of advice:

1. turning amp on/off with headphones plugged in: sends them to headphone heaven

2. turning amo on/off without headphones plugged in: amps may go off to headamp heaven.

wacko.gifwacko.gif

I guess I'm a little slow on the uptake, but which one is correct?

(btw, so far I haven't head any headamp that does not turn on/off with some sort of sound through the headphones)This line of questioning is getting long-winded I know, but it'd be nice to settle the issue once and for all so that newbies, and people less able to understand complex technical concepts/theories(me) can avoid damaging our equipment unnecessarily.

Edited by av98m

av98m, if you ask me. To be honest there is no big deal wink.gif

The best solution, in my experience, is never to turn electronics 'OFF'. No thumping, no *piak* sound tongue.gif or what ever. If you do insist in turning them off then my advice would be to turn the volume down in your amp and switch it OFF then procceed to switch OFF your other source equipments, through out this course it is up to you to have the amps loaded or not. I think this is a 'SANE' habit to have. Think about it, if you had a big speakered system you wouldn't want to have to feel up the back of your amplifiers to disconnect the speakers before switching the amplifier off, would you?

Equipments nowadays are built robust and I really doubt any manufacturer will release equipment that will break down just by turning them ON/OFF loaded or unloaded over any given period of time. Unless, it's a 'Dudd' or your cans are DIY'ed I'm not sure. In any case, blown electronics are deemed less difficult to fix rather than 'BLOWN' cans. etys.gif

Matbon, best piece of advise yet. smile.gif Muting it is probably the best solution. But not switching off equipment is a huge waste of electricity. an average 60 rms amp will eat up 7-8 bucks a month if left on 24x7.

Matbon, best piece of advise yet.  Muting it is probably the best solution. But not switching off equipment is a huge waste of electricity. an average 60 rms amp will eat up 7-8 bucks a month if left on 24x7.

Well if its not A class, I'm sure power running through will be negligible yeah?

av98m, if you ask me. To be honest there is no big deal  wink.gif

.If you do insist in turning them off then my advice would be to turn the volume down in your amp and switch it OFF then procceed to switch OFF your other source equipments, through out this course it is up to you to have the amps loaded or not. I think this is a 'SANE' habit to have. Think about it, if you had a big speakered system you wouldn't want to have to feel up the back of your amplifiers to disconnect the speakers before switching the amplifier off, would you?

Thanks Mat. Thats why I thought it made no sense whatsoever to remove headphones before the turningon/off process (not to mention being a real PITA).

Now, I'd leave my amp on 24/7, but the led firefox used on it is so bright it lights up half my room at night! lol.gif I don't bother turning off the cdp and power distributor anymore.

Edited by av98m

I use to leave my amp on 24/7 but heat issues forced me to switch it off at night lest the amp burns up together, with me. Its a class A amp. During that time, i used bluetack to block the led.

Bluetack is really useful for hifi. blink.gif