Sign in to follow this  
wil

What next?

Okok, i dont have much to do, so i guess i'did post this.

Firstly, ill let to thank everyone here at sgheadphones for being incredibly helpful and forgiving to a noobie like me. Ive learnt quite alot ( and am still in the process of that ) I've gained quite alot of insight into this very intriguing whole of cans ; which to me is somewhat akin to high resolution listening wihtout speakers at a cheaper price.

Ok now that im done with all this boot-lickin, let's get down to business.

As you can see in my sig, my setup is rather ok ( IHMO, YMMV, BBQ, PIE, yadadadada )

I would just like to enquire what would make the next most sensible upgrade? ( Besides the source, which im in the process of changing to either a Philips 963A or Marantz CD5400 - once ive made up my mind )

I did like to tube roll soon, once ive decided which tubes to get....

Which boils down to this, i think my ICs are the weakness in my system.

I cant even remember the brand even! I bought them at like 50 bucks ( i think they are manufactued in Taiwan ) They sound good too me, but what i feel is that upgrading my ICs will no doubt bring me better sound. ( Can anyone recommend a IC that offers transparency and a solid yet musical bass ? )

And another thing, I love how my SR125s rock, but they seem to be unable to portray certain instruments individually without blurring everything up at times, and my DT880 are articulate, involving and intimate, yet not being very exciting at times...

So i was wondering if getting the RS-1 would help in the long run...or perhaps even the HD595s which seem to be more exciting HD650 ( i dont like the HD600s?650s for the fact that they seem to thick and subdued )

Im confused about the cans part.....oh well. ( MS2 anyone? gah )

Oh well, i guess this seems something like i would read on headfi.org, but i did rather post here cos i cant seem to stand headfi more and more.

At least the replies here are sensible.

heh. Thanks for your time. biggrin.gif

try Sony CD3000? seems to me that u want something that's in between grado and Dt880.

btw, i havent heard the CD3000 so u will have to ask the rest.

OT: ur setup almost the same as mine tongue.gif

Hm......Heard the CD3000s are bright if not amped properly...besides, they dont sell them in Singapore lolol....Will anyone be kind enough to let me listen to them? wink.gif

Im sure if u asked nicely some people here might let u have a lil listen. happy.gif

i find it more refined than DT 880 laugh.gif

Hm......Heard the CD3000s are bright if not amped properly...besides, they dont sell them in Singapore lolol....Will anyone be kind enough to let me listen to them? wink.gif

grados r said to be bright as well, that's my impression.

do they sound bright to u?

Considering that we have the same amp, I'll say the RS-1 will be a good choice should you want to go all the way. Punchy well extended bass, fairly fast sounding, detailed, good soundstage really suited for acoustic instruments. It will sound totally different from your DT880. The CD3000 sounds brighter comparatively. However the CD3000 might impress you with the large 'soundstage/headstage'. Something that the DT880 is good at. Incidently I find it more refined than the CD3000. However its been ages since I've reaquainted myself with the DT880. It's all a matter of individual taste but if you can get one at a bargain price why not?

If your ICs are as non descript as you say they are. It might be something to look at before you move on to different headphones. Since IC replacement will be less painful for the wallet than replacing headphones (if you follow the general rule of thumb min. 10% value of your system). Looking for transparancy, punchy bass? Try the DNM Reson with Bullet plugs like the ones I have.

Hm. The SR-125s were extremely sibilant when i paired them with a solid-state. However, with the change to tubes that are now more or less properly burned-in, the Sr-125s produce a surprisingly sweet treble ( detailed and musical without being overly sibilant ). They're not bright to me...

yep....

I will derail your thoughts here. I'm familiar with both strength and weakness of your cdp, amp and Beyer 880. Judging by your comment on the blurry/muddy sound on SR125, your 63SE is my key suspect. This cdp is definitely old in the tooth and although still a musical player, portrayal of speed, resolution and transparency is not its forte compared to the current lot. Upgrading to CD5400 may not yield great improvement, after all, it costs only S$299. What U need is a leap in source upgrade. If U've gone thru my review on the Cayin, U should notice its handling capability of a source about five folds over ie MF A3CD. Since U've mentioned 963A, this universal gets my nod for it will certainly improve all the aforementioned weakness. Another cdp in contention at this price range is Marantz CD17MKIII and it also shares the similarly beautiful mid range and warmth; its house sound/signature. If U've lived with Marantz cdps for a long while, the sudden switch to 963A may excite your taste buds initially but U may miss the Marantz sound.

If U wish to spread your budget across the system, I recommend Marantz CD7300; Kimber Silver Streak and if U prefer rock and speed/attack is an issue, Nordost Blue Heaven for interconnects. Thereafter, U can consider tube rolls. Please refer to my Cayin review on sticky section for a rough guide.

As yet, U have not the system to hear the full potential of your Beyer 880 and even SR125. Forgive me for being blunt................BUT your system has lots of potential left undiscovered until a new and matching source is found. party.gif

Edited by Mackie

Pardon my ignorance, but what would the above mentioned equipment ( Eg - DNM Reson with Bullet plugs, Marantz CD7300 and Kimber Silver streaks cost? )

I know adeplhi carries them, but where can i get them for the best bang for the buck ?

thanks....

tongue.gif

Checking back the local headphones pricelist thread, ablaze got me a 1m pair for $138 from Musiclink, Shaw towers. This was quite a while back so not sure if the price is still the same.

Eichmann Bullet Plugs

DNM Reson cables.

Ps.....is it DIY or is does it come as a set? heheheh

Either. It can come perfitted as a set or seperate for DIY. Mine was prefitted by the shop.