Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

Portable External USB Soundcards

I was looking for something cheap to replace my PC's old non functioning SBLive soundcard. I was contemplating the Bithead but that's not exactly cheap however I like it's flexibility, so I can use it when I'm at my office PC (I get moved around quite alot) or at home.

I came across this on Head-Fi & wondered if anyone here has had experience with it or know of anywhere I can get them in SG? It's probably not the last word in sound quality but as long as it's pretty decent than the crappy stock soundcards you get on work PCs I'm happy.

I havent heard those but what about the creative usb xternal soundcards?

They look alot larger, anything smaller?

i doubt that anything is smaller than that. Thats along the lines of the supermicro! tongue.gif

in SLS, 4th floor, a second-hand store sells TURTLE BEACH sound card, using Aureal 8820B2 Chip, the same as the famous Dimond S90. the price is only S$10, very cheap, but the sound is better than Creative SBlive in music listening...

Thanks bzy83, you know if they have something that works off a USB port?

there are no cheap USB sound cards... u can only go for creative or M-audio which are more than S$100...

in Hi-Fi forums in China, there are DIY USB sound card sold, not expensive, but the sound are said pretty good, if you are interested, you can order from them...

Thread Split for the "1st & 2nd Generation Tube USB Soundcard" posted by bzy83.

Changed the thread title from Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro to the present one to make it a bit more general.

Now I'm looking into the M Audio Sonica/Transit. Are these availabe in SG? If so how much do they cost? Does anyone own or have tried them out?

Hey N@Z, I'm planning to get the M-Audio Transit as well. It's going to be used with my ibook and Shure e2's. Possibly a nice pair of Grado's as well for use at home. Considering the Grado SR60/80 or if I can get enough $ the SR125/225. I've checked out a few shops at Funan, and spotted one selling it for about $160. However, I'm still wondering whether it'll be worth it. I mean we are going to listening to compressed music anyway, so what's the point? What do yall think? By the way, most of music is ripped at about 192-360 MP3 or AAC.

N@Z:

Sonica: heard not so good for music, more geared towards movies Sim Lim Sq: $219

Transit: Sim Lim Sq: $169

Creative just came out with a range of new USB soundcards, including 1 PCMCIA card, wonder how they sound. Still trying to find some reviews on them.

what about USB headphones smile.gif or usb speakers

can find both in SLS, some are actually quite good.

USB speakers about S$40+ (china brand) price is about the same for usb headphones.

Sony has a usb headphone that sells about s$100 in SLS

Most of my files are in WAV format. I need it mostly to replace my dead soundcard & for use on my office PC hence whether it is worth it in terms of SQ does not play a major role.

kenshinz: Out of curiosity, how much is the M-Audiophile?

USB headphones & Speakers sounds interesting but again my original purpose is to replace my dead soundcard. So they'll be not much use without them. Believe it or not I still haven't got round to replacing my soundcard yet.

M-AudiophileRevo 7.1 $189

Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 $199

Gainword Hollywood 7.1 $55 - Using the same envy24 chipset, but heard the dac is of a lower quality. If on the Chaintech AV710 can be found in Singapore.

Thanks.