Sign in to follow this  
heck

Reccomendation for headphones

I've previously owned a pair of Sony EX-71s but the strength and durability was really lacking. The wire covering is some thin silicon and it tears way too easily. but i liked the isolation it provided. btw i tore a huge gash in the wiring and now the right side no longer has any sound blink.gif

anyways, i'd really appreciate it if you guys can reccomend me a low-mid budget earphones or headfones, as long as it is within my budget of <SGD$100.

i want a pair that is fairly durable and rugged as i would be using them for extensive preiods of time, and a pair that looks good wouldn't hurt too much, would it cool.gif? nothing too huge, i want something portable and easily carried around.

no clip-ons please, i have ears that will hurt after using clip-ons.

preferably round the back headfones.

thanks for your time. cheers

Edited by heck

Sennheiser MX400 for earbuds, cheap & cheerful so if you break it can replace with a new one. Very decent sound for earbuds.

Sennheiser PX200 for closed but headband is over the head. Better sound than the earbuds. Just within your budget.

Koss KSC-55 for over the neck style but not closed. Well within your budget. Best overall sound IMO but maybe a little tight for some heads.

u may want to try the Sennheiser PMX-60. it's a "round the back" headphone which cost about $60-70 (i have forgotten the price, sorry)

Note: i have not heard the PMX-60 so i can't comment on the sound quality

The KSC-35, 50, 55, PortaPros & SportaPros*, the drivers have similar specs so theoretically at least should have similar sound characteristics. I've only heard the KSC-55 & KSC-35.

specifications

Frequency Response: 15-25,000 Hz

Impedance: 60 ohms

Weight: 1.0 oz.

Sensitivity: 101 (103*) dB SPL/1mW

According to Koss's website there are a few other neck band type headphones: KSC-10, 11, 15, 17 not sure whether those are available or not.

the senn pmx-60 has some good reviews on the quality of sound, comparable to that of the px-200

and its fairly cheap, so i think i'll go get it from hung bros this sat

read that the koss ksc-55s are very small and not very durable

i think u can request for an audition of the pmx-60 at hung bros? (not too sure about this)

it's always better if u can have a listen to which ever cans u r intending to buy (if possible) smile.gif

-round the back

-below S$100

-liked isolation of ex71

no one headphone that does all 3

respected backfones in hifi world are few & far between

koss ksc55

koss sportapro

but they are more like open fones

senn pmx60 are quite new, some comments here

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread....highlight=pmx60

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread....highlight=pmx60

actually this sector is quite lucrative if some manufacturer can come up with a half-decent closed round the back headphones, perfect for those who don't want the "headband hair" look

post-8-1091766820.jpg

ok went down to hung bros today and decided to go with px-100. was torn between hd-212 and the px-100. in the end went with the px-100 cos of the easy portability due to the really convenient case.

the sound is really good, but i haven't really contracted audiophilia, so cant really comment much. i'm sure other brothers here can give much better opinions.

but these headfones are fairly confortable, and the casing sure is a plus point.

thanks for all your feedback.

regarding the senn PMX 60, dun u think tt a 1 m cable is short?!

cause my sennheiser MX 500 is 1 m cable... n it seems short to me mellow.gif