Sign in to follow this  
yongchris

2 updates for Sarah M fans

I got these 2 DVDs just before the sgheadphones.com crash, and the review I wrote couldn't get posted. Well, here it goes.

Sarah Machlaclan - VH1 storytellers DVD

beautiful beautiful CD, better than mirrorball by miles. A small intimate setting of abt 200 people with Sarah M. She makes an intro to every song, including some background... etc (you can turn off this feature and just go to the songs on the DVD). And she looks so gorgeous and sounds so amazing. The song selection is very good, typically her more "popular" songs from surfacing, not so much from the older album. I feel a little short-changed, cos there were only 10 songs and there aren't a lot of extras on the DVD, but then I only paid abt $30 from gramaphone. I don't regret buying it though. Compared to Mirrorball (which I own as well), this is much better in terms of sound quality and visual quality. Also, she wears a pair of E5s throughout the entire performance.

Lilith Fair DVD

I've already got the collection on CD, but adding the visual to the mix does make the music better. Sarah M is amazing as usual, she's beautiful, wonderfully wonderfully talented with an absolutely amazing voice. I can feel the tears when she sings Angel.

Jewel is similarly brilliant. Another beautiful woman with a wonderful voice.

The highlight of the DVD must be the 3 way performance of "The water is wide", originally like Dylan, with the Indigo girls, Sarah M and Jewel performing it. That track is simply magic. Starts off with a clean acoustic guitar sound by the indigo girls, followed by a solo verse by Jewel, and a solo verse by Sarah M. You can hear the contrasting voices of both ladies. Both voices are so beautiful, yet the tone is so different. Gun to my head, I wouldn't be able to choose which one I liked better.

The rest of the DVD was pretty good, and at $22, a decent bargain, especially since the CD cost $25 but with more tracks. I didn't review the other tracks as I didn't pay much attention to them

Soundwise,If I turn off the tv and play both tracks back to back, the CD does sound better (well, my CD player is $1.8k and my DVD player is $180...go figure), but the visual impact to your senses lend alot more credence and weight to the entire performance. Watching the expressions and movements of the artists do benefit the listening experience.

As far as I know, I bought the only copies from gramaphone, and I haven't seen it there ever since, but you guys can try your luck.

I'm definitely interested in the CD version of these live set DVDs, are they still available?

I assume the Lilith Fair had Dixie Chicks in it as well? Amazing vocals & acoustic instruments.

Nice! Did you guys get her Live Acoustic cd as well? Only 5 songs but very nicely recorded in front of a live audience. The recording is more forward/closely miked than mirrorball. You can hear someone's digital watch beep just before she starts on her first song. I read someone that this was actually released as an itunes exclusive earlier on.

post-11-1092200668.jpg

Edited by av98m

What were the songs on that CD? Is the bonus CD that came with the Afterglow Album the same (but 4 tracks only: Fallen, Answer, Dirty Little Secret & Building a mystery)?

Fallen

Adia

Angel

Building a mystery

Answer

Very nice recording with no band. Its only Sarah, herself playing one single instrument(piano or guitar depending on the song) and the background noise from the audience.

Edited by av98m

Looks like the songs you described are similar because the bonus CD uses instruments as you've described. Wow would love to hear Adia!

Looks like the songs you described are similar because the bonus CD uses instruments as you've described. Wow would love to hear Adia!

Hangon...how3 come my copy of afterglow does not come with that bonus cd?? dry.gif

Apparently there are 2 versions sold in Singapore, the one with the bonus CD is imported from Malaysia. I have that one as well. happy.gif

I'm definitely interested in the CD version of these live set DVDs, are they still available?

I assume the Lilith Fair had Dixie Chicks in it as well? Amazing vocals & acoustic instruments.

yup, there's dixie chicks, they also play on "water is wide"

trust me, when you hear that version by sarah M, Jewel and dixie chicks, you'd think you died and went to heaven.

I bought the CDs from gramaphone as well, 4 CDs, Vol 1. 2CDs, Vol 2. 1CD, Vol 3. 1CD.

DVD has performances from the first VOL (original tour)

The reason I know is I have an *ehem* mp3 of it. Oit! Save some for me!

trust me, when you hear that version by sarah M, Jewel and dixie chicks, you'd think you died and went to heaven.

I bought the CDs from gramaphone as well, 4 CDs, Vol 1. 2CDs, Vol 2. 1CD, Vol 3. 1CD.

Back from gramaphone and listening to it now. Thanks for the recommendation! happy.gif Good stuff!

Back from gramaphone and listening to it now. Thanks for the recommendation! happy.gif Good stuff!

did you buy the DVD or CD?