Sign in to follow this  
bpribadi

MJ Mini Tube Board

hmm...but the transformers suggested by digi01 is not really good.

IMHO, i doubt the toroidal and the small step down transformer will give good sound.

Is anyone know where to get a 240 to 440V,6.3V transformer that specially made for tube amp?

with the 440V ouput, we can use the tube rectifier instead of the diodes. rolleyes.gif

I don't think it's worth the effort, and would be costly.

Toroid transformer is only less hum and smaller, but sound wise, I don't think there is any different. Unless not regulated (like power amp), than picking transformer will be more critical. wink.gif

I prefer to save cost, concentrating to the audio line.

oh.. what i mean is, if we use the 2 trannies combo, we cannot use the tube rectifier.

here is a thread discussing about tube rectifier for Foreplay pre-amp in echoloft.

foreplay

some said that tube rectification will sound better.

Huanyong... u might want to look here..if u want to simulate the behaviour of tube rectifier...

http://www.duncanamps.com/psud2/

small notes, u might want to compare how an RC filtering and LC filtering circuits....

some people claims by using LC filtering u can gain some sounds improvement..

and probably u might want to look at an improved filaments supply by using regulated DC

for audio tubes...... biggrin.gif

mukegile,thank you supply the info headphone.gif

The purpose of the standard kit is making a tube headphone amp at a reasonable cost.it will be a pleasure progress.

The kit is designed to be upgradable.so it can use diode rectification to lower the cost.or use tube rectification which will improve the sound..

yes, you can replace the resistor with choke.. which makes CLC filter.

wub.gif

Yap...Digi..., thats why we are interested on this tube project.....

what i wrote is just options to explore.... by this project we can start at minimum...and

keep on improving to push it;s limits... party.gif

ok.. got it..

but if i am interested in using the tube rectification, what shall i use?

special transformer for tube? and chokes?

or either of them?

thanks.

well..chokes cost money ...if u want to start small....u can still use tube rectification and RC filtering like what Digi recommends

Probably tube with CRC, or solid state are better options than CLC, because by nature L will slow down or reduce a fast current change, which is not good for sudden current demand by the audio circuit.

Let's keep exploring the best possibilities yes.gif Schematic pictures would be nice if you guys have any new ideas wink.gif

I will let go a unit for you all to tryout..introductory price... S$130 plus air shipping..

pls PM me . first come first serve headphone.gif

I will let go a unit for you all to tryout..introductory price... S$130 plus air shipping..

pls PM me . first come first serve headphone.gif

Err......are U referring to the unit in biscuit tin (shown in earlier post) or in a whole new chassis altogether?

Edited by Mackie

Hi Mackie,bpribadi

The unit i mean is one set of kit, with things you need to make a Morgan Jones Amp exclusive of tubes,transformer and case.as for part list, you can refer to my ealier post in this thread.

I can provide tubes and transformer and case, but shipping cost is not worth.

about the case,I find one here.size is 240x380x130mm,aluminium.53S$.

post-12-1093333868.jpg