Sign in to follow this  
bpribadi

Sony XA3000ES Headphone out clips

My friend asked me to buy SACD player from Sony, XA3000ES. So now I'm testing the deck before I deliver it to my friend.

It is a very well build player, weigh more than 8 kgs.

One thing that I found weird is with the headphone output. The line out (2 channel) has to be connected to an amp, and the amp has to be turned on, otherwise the headphone output clips. ohmy.gif

Previously I didn't think of the line out, I just wondered why the low frequency always clips even when I turn the volume low. I listen the same CD, same track with my PCDP, it sounds ok, no clips. I plug in my RS-1 back to the SACD deck, same thing happen, the low freq clips. no.gif

At the end I found the solution as what I mentioned above.

Anybody know why?

I know that RS-1 is a low impedance headphone, anyway, it shouldn't clips right? wacko.gif

When the condition met, it sounds good, full, powerfull impact and very good transient. It sounds very clean and detailed, very natural and strong bass. Very good soundstaging, and never sounds harsh. I listen to Chesky Ultimate Demonstration disc, track 13, I can turn the volume very loud yet the strong sound of the saxophone sounds very natural and engaging. Very impressive player. Then my favorite tracks, 9 and 21, it sounds alive. I don't have good speaker system, so I comment base on my RS-1 grado.gif

Hopefully I can finish my PIMETA soon, so I can try it with the deck yes.gif

user posted image

Correction: The headphone output is fine when there is no connection between the line out and amplifier.

So I guess, it is my cheap amp that giving problem dry.gif

The headphone output sounds very good. I'm going to compare it with PIMETA soon. yes.gif

I just wonder how different is a sound of XA3000ES from a PCDP?

Besides the self-justification of reasoning that -"It cost so much it must definitely be good"

would some audio-guru like you be able to tell which is which by blindfolding, and listen to the sound?

No offence! Just something I'm very curious! Cheers!

I dare say its better though I haven't tried it. Especially with high impedance cans as this is plugged into AC and hence I guess voltage wouldn't be a bottleneck unlike portables which use batteries.

But I can also say quite surely that the true potential of the player can only be found through the line out.

well...it's a very subjective topics.. different people has different ears and perceive and prefer differently form one another... , wheter u can hear the difference , u have to try it by urself....

if u can't hear any differences...then "why spend the "megabucks" on it" ?

buying audio equipment is ...buying something that u can "hear & enjoy".... not because the audio-guru

says "he can HEAR it"

Looks like I overlooked the discussion here tongue.gif Sorry guys I didn't check...

I'm totally agree with mukegile, our ears are our reference, the buck is not the gauge.

Surely I can tell the difference, even my wife can tell the difference wink.gif But the significant difference is only heard when connected to the line out. The headphone output is middle class, not so good for the price. I dare to bet S$100 for blindfold testing wink.gif

If I have money would I buy it? NO. I don't really like the XA3000 sound paired with my RS-1.

The player has excellence detail and imaging, but still has the Sony's signature which is thin midrange and dry treble. I said Sony's sound, because I have/had a few Sony's CDP/PCDP, they all has the Sony's sound I mentioned. Not only mine, but my brother's Sonys as well. Even though the XA3000 sounds more much natural compare to the cheaper Sonys, but still not for my taste.

Frankly speaking, for long listening, I still prefer to use my PCDP, Panasonic SL-CT810. True that Sony excels in dynamic (AC powered vs. battery), detail, and imaging. But the treble is sharper than my PCDP, and the SL-CT810 sounds warmer, which is more comfortable for long hour listening.

And my friends who bought it also dissapointed with the sound, now he is trying to upgrade the components happy.gif

Edited by bpribadi