Sign in to follow this  
fox

Need help and recommendations on setup

First and foremost, U will be seeking semi-open/close-back cans (most isolation) and this criterion would narrow your choices down to a few. As for headamp, choices are also limited as only a handful of hifi shops deal in these lesser cousins to speaker amps. Those that are available are Sugden, Musical Fidelity, Naim, Cayin, Creek etc. U also have to decide on tube-based or solid state amps and since U're a total newbie in this hobby, I recommend solid-state amps without fuss.

The first thought that strikes me is Master Original amp

See discussion here - http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=2589

user posted image

partnered with the following:

Beyerdynamic DT880 (semi-open)

user posted image

Beyerdynamic DT660 (close-back)

user posted image

Beyerdynamic DT150 (close-back)

user posted image

Reference links

http://www.beyerdynamic.co.uk/beyer%20pages/studioheads.html

http://www.beyerdynamic.co.uk/beyer%20pages/hifi.html

I have used these cans with my Original Master amp and thus made the above suggestions. Pm me if U wish to audition them as a system. Owing to your choice of source ie I-pod, I recommend DT660 for its more forgiving nature whereas the other two would reveal the source's weakness a whole lot more.

Hi Mackie,

Do you know where they sell this is S'pore? What is the impedence range that it can drive (min to max). How is the bass level in this amp cos I am not a basshead (thumping bass). but do enjoy moderate bass, can't do totally w/o bass either. biggrin.gif

Hi Fox,

All the answers to your questions are already placed before U. hammer.giflol.gif The enclosed links offer a detailed look of their respective specifications. Now don't be lazy, click on them! (since I can find the time to enclose the links to your benefit) tongue.gif Hun Bro and JBL Gallery are dealers of Beyer cans. I personally feel the latter charges higher.

Visit the forum's sticky articles section to read up on the reviews of the aforementioned Beyer cans.

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=191

Edited by Mackie

u budget is 500-1000 for source + i/c + amp + hp.

It's very important to get a decent source(CDP), this is what i will tell a new audio adventurer. I'm a new audio adventurer also. tongue.gif Get used stuff as it will save u $$$.

my -2ct suggestion is as below:

source 500 - 600

i/c < 50

amp < 150-200

hp < 250-300

It's very important to get a decent source(CDP), this is what i will tell a new audio adventurer. I'm a new audio adventurer also. tongue.gif Get used stuff as it will save u $$$.

source 500 - 600

i/c < 50

amp < 150-200

hp < 250-300

i/c are interconnects? Any recommendations?

source 500 - 600

i/c < 50

amp < 150-200

hp < 250-300

Any recommended brands for source at that price?

marantz 5400 or 6000 OSE you can also try to get second hand which is cheaper

marantz 5400 or 6000 OSE you can also try to get second hand which is cheaper

I have checked the classifieds here but no luck. Any other places where I can buy 2nd hand stuff?

Hi Fox

You may want to consider the Panasonic SL-CT810,

although it is a portable CD player (Play CD, MP3 as well as WMA),

I have not listen to the Marantz, can't compare.

One unit for in-house and outdoor.

You may give up your iPod after listening to the CT810, hahaha....

I gotta disagree with Ma6Jia. The proposed budget and system make-up deserves a source better than a portable. If U wanna have a dose of Marantz CD5400, try it at KEC, 1st floor Adelphi. Otherwise, bring your headphones (whatever it's gonna be) to Sembawang Music (cd chain stores) for they use CD5400 as demo machines. Of couse, be diplomatic and ask for permission before proceeding and use their cds for audition, lest they find out about your hidden agenda. LOL

I gotta disagree with Ma6Jia. The proposed budget and system make-up deserves a source better than a portable. If U wanna have a dose of Marantz CD5400, try it at KEC, 1st floor Adelphi. Otherwise, bring your headphones (whatever it's gonna be) to Sembawang Music (cd chain stores) for they use CD5400 as demo machines. Of couse, be diplomatic and ask for permission before proceeding and use their cds for audition, lest they find out about your hidden agenda. LOL

I just called KEC and the salesman was saying that the CD5400 costs S$299 and the 6000LE costs S$449. Whcich is more value for money?

May be we should do a review on CD5400 vs CT810, hahaha.....

Price is about the same.

Edited by Ma6Jia

hmm ... i agreed with mackie ... you cannot compare a full CDP to a PCDP. ya must understand that it will sound very different b'cos the DAC is very different ! and they have very different sound house .. tell you i own the sony D-777 it is a great PCDP but it still lose to a Actual CDP (marantz CD6000OSE) ... come on think of the size !!! happy.gif ( price is not a major factor between a CDP and PCD but the budget ! ) holiday.gif

Edited by N3w_Typ3

I just called KEC and the salesman was saying that the CD5400 costs S$299 and the 6000LE costs S$449. Whcich is more value for money?

Yo go down and listen to the player .... ok .. i own the 6000OSE .... it nice .... but i wanna upgrade too but but I am totally short of $$$$$$$$ @ rolleyes.gif

Edited by N3w_Typ3