Sign in to follow this  
Mackie

Desperately Seeking Cello

Aside from Yo Yo Ma whom I think has become commercial in recent years, are there any artistes or albums which U recommend for music on cello?

Edited by Mackie

Are you looking for something light or serious classical?

Let's just say I dig both and more so of the latter.

I just came back from Gramophone with the following:

Cello Concerto No.1 in C/Cello Concerto No. 2 in D - Joseph Haydn

Cello Concerto in B flat - Luigi Boccherini

Jacqueline du Pre (cellist), English Chamber Orchestra conducted by Daniel Barenboim/London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Sir John Barbirolli

EMI Classics (1967/1969 recordings)

I also saw an early recording of Yo Yo Ma playing Bach's Unaccompanied Cello pieces on Sony Records. Any opinion on this piece or album?

Edited by Mackie

You seems to know a lot on cello music already so not sure what you do not have.

I am more familiar with the older artists. You will not go very wrong with cellists like Mstiskav Rostropovich, Pierre Fournier, Janos Starker or Jacqueline Du Pre.

You can try the Cello concerto by Antonin Dvorak, he only wrote 1, if you have not have any of the version yet.

In terms of performance the one by DG with Rostropovich as the soloist, Karajan conducting the Berlin Philharmoniker is very good. Rostropovich is a great cellist and Karajan is a very great accompaning conductor. You will not only get a world class performance from the sololist and also a wonderful orchestra supporting.

DG 413 819 -2 but there is a newer release using the same picture by with different cover layout.

post-11-1093508905.jpg

Edited by fuwen

Kodaly wrote very challenging cello music and Janos Starker had recorded very good version of them. I have the album by Delos but I believe there is a version by either Living Stereo or Living Presence.

post-11-1093509099.jpg

BTW Yo Yo Ma is definitely one of the greatest cellist of our day. However his playing style not really to my taste, too smooth maybe, but not doubt a great and vesatile performer, and I believe a very influencial individual (other than his music) in the State.

i would recommend this album:user posted image

contains 2 of the (imo) most best loved cello concertos (dvorak and schumann) and many other rare pieces - saves you a hell of a lot of money! and of course all pieces receive the insight that is unique to rostropovich. remastered to boot too. sleep.gif

Thanks for your input guys. I belong to the old school and tends to favour Jacqueline du Pre, Dinu Lipatti, Kathleen Ferrier and the likes. I should also heed your comments on Yo Yo Ma and try his rendition of Bach Unaccompanied Cello suites but I'm doubtful if he can surpass the following:

user posted image

Btw Fuwen and adhoc, where did U guys buy the abovementioned cds? Thanks.

Edited by Mackie

Hey Mackie,

If you like Cello and Metallica...

try this group.

Apocalyptica. They are a cello quartet that play metallica and speed metal covers.

You'd be amazed at what they can do with the cello.

Apocalyptica

Jacqueline du Pre is quite good too, with her husband on the piano. I got a couple of her albums. Think she's passed on though.

The YoyoMa bach suites is damn good (I bought the original box set, not the rerelease).

They had a TV special on it, but I couldn't find the DVD. It is one of my favourites.

this one.

yoyoma

user posted image

Edited by yongchris

Hi! Mackie

I cannot really remember where I got my CDs from unless just bought recently. But I have visited most, if not all the major shops that sell classical CDs in Singapore:

Tower records

HMV (I believe has the most stocks and selections, but expensive!)

Borders

Sing Music (Lucky plaza, u can place order esp for the DG labels)

New disc village/Grammophone (limited overall selection, good for audiophile releases)

towerrecords.com (US site)

If u are getting the Rostropovich mastercellist recommended by adhoc I believe the vesion of the Dovrak Cello concerto is the one I recommended so no need to get 2 unless u like the cover of the album.

To search for a specific classical album (I mean specific work and performers) in local shops I believe is not easy unless is a recent release. So sometime it is easier to get from the internet (towerrecords.com is quite good with a very user friendly serach engine) but is expensive and will only be reasonable if get a few at the same time.

Enjoy your cello music!

This one was highly recommended by my friend who play cello:

Elgar Cello Concerto the version by soloist Jacqueline du Pre, London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Sir John Barbirolli

The one I have is by EMI Classics 7243 5 55527 2 3 with the Dvorak cello concerto.

Recently there are many different releases on Jacqueline performances so there may be another album with the same recording.

post-11-1093916258.jpg

The abovementioned certainly piques my interest for it showcasts the 2 musicians that I respect; Jacqueline du Pre and Sir Barbirolli.

Those who wish to know more about Jacqueline, her life story was told in the film "Hilaryand Jackie".

user posted image

Film synopsis (courtesy of Amazon.com):

"It earned Oscar nods, yet this cinematic look at a genius--that of English cellist Jacqueline du Pré, who enraptured audiences with her bold, emblazoned, and wholly unconventional playing style, and who died at age 42--was criticized for its "lapses" in truth by people who purportedly knew du Pré. Some of the controversy revolved around the other main character in Anand Tucker's gorgeous, involving movie--du Pré's sister, Hilary, whose book, A Genius in the Family (cowritten with brother Piers), dished some dirt on Jackie's sleeping with Hilary's husband. But don't let that deter you from this ebullient movie experience. The film is a bisected story (each sister's tale is told in the same amount of screen time) teeming with heartfelt drama that belies the cheap shots it received from its detractors. It's stirring, reckless, loving, involving, and rife with unconventional passion; passion for music, life, art, and the delicate relationship between these two synchronous, extraordinary sisters as played by brilliant actors Emily Watson and Rachel Griffiths (both of whom earned Oscar nods). Though Watson got the juicy, showy role as Jackie, it's Griffiths who provides the heart, soul, and spine of the film. And director Tucker has that gift of being able to explain through the visual medium what is happening inside of his character's heads. He's helped by a fine screenplay by Frank Boyce Cottrell. No matter what the truth of Hilary and Jackie might really be, this is an exceptional, rare film that is defined and graced by fine acting and writing. --Paula Nechak"

Edited by Mackie

Just came back from a little shopping spree. Got the following, thanks for the input guys.

-Dvorak & Elgar: Cello Concertos

-Recital & Delius: Cello Concerto

-Brahms: Cello Sonatas; Bruch: Kol Nidrei; Jacqueline Du Pre

user posted image

hey apologies for the late reply mackie (NS in the way.. again..), but i buy almost all my classical cds from Sing Music - you might want to note though that Sing only stocks music from these labels:

Naxos

Hyperion

DGG

Sony Classical

EMI

Decca

more exotics cds from labels such as ClassicsForPleasure, or small independent labels such as ECM or Delos, are not stocked by Sing.

Hi Adhoc,

Where's Sing Music?

Chris

OOPS. nevermind, I went to search the yellowpages.

98. Sing Music Pte Ltd

304 Orchard Rd #02-75 Lucky Plaza

Tel : 6235 8960

Category : Compact Disc-Whsle & Mfrs

Edited by yongchris