Sign in to follow this  
Mackie

Desperately Seeking Cello

Thanks adhoc. Sing Music has been around for such a long time. Those who loves classical music and detests the limited availability here would hope to travel back in time and explore Beethoven House; a defunct cd shop located at Centrepoint that sells largely classical music and a little bit of jazz. I remembered it came into existence during my primary school years.

Btw, Jacqueline du Pre's performance on Elgar Cello Concerto sends shiver down my spine. The first few pull of the bow will bowl U over.

Edited by Mackie

oh cripes completely forgot to mention this!

mackie i hope you bought the 'correct' du pre album! or at least the most 'economical' one.. ohmy.gif

user posted image

linked picture: click away!

Edited by adhoc

No worries..........I saw the abovementioned album but gave it a miss for EMI has released newer and remastered cds of the same cello concertos but not as a compilation. If this does not matter, the album show above is a must-buy.

that's good to hear mackie! i was worried that i had just inadvertantly helped you waste your money. sleep.gif

I'm a careful spender.......LOL...........sure hammer.gif

The older Cell Concerto compilation comprises of 3cds and available at Gramophone, Raffles Place. Its price is similar to buying the remastered releases on 3 different albums. As yet, I need one more album to complete the same collection.

Edited by Mackie

Hi! Mackie, in case u have not bought the Starker playing Kodaly, there is a SACD version. Not sure how long already in the market, I just got it from New Disc Village.

post-11-1097452728.jpg

Thanks Fuwen, I've to buy this disc.  How much does the SACD cost?

I got mine at around $40+ cannot rememer the exact price. This particular SACD is made in Japan. Otherwise u can normally get SACDs from New Disc Village at as low as $30.

Edited by fuwen

Mackie, I found this at Borders.

double bass. IMO, it feels better and sounds better than the Cello.

The guy is playing cello pieces, but the double bass resonates better. IT sounds magical.

user posted image

Was listening to this and think Mackie may like it.

This is a recording of Boccherini Cello Quintets ( understand from the CD booklet that he actually wrote 110 of Quintets for 2 cello). What striked me was the very difficult part given to the Cello I, and especially for the first Quintet on the CD in C major in many occasion the cello is playing as complicated and fast as the first violin!

Recording is as usual good for hyperion. Only one thing as these are Quintets performance and as in all chamber music performance of this nature the performers go for harmony and consistancy in style and tonal characteristics so if u are looking for the type of forceful and strong character from cello like that of Du Pre than then this CD is not what u are looking for.

post-11-1108958336.jpg

Edited by fuwen

Copy that.....er.......I don't mean burn a cdrom. happy.gif I will keep my eyes open for this album. Where did U get yours?

Got it quite a while ago. I believe is Sing Music.

This Jacqueline du Pre 2CD early BBC recording is a good one if you guys like cello! It's recorded in mono/add. I love listening to these on stax phones. Blows me away. I always refer to this sensation(listening to this on stax)as the dementors sucking the life out of harry potter feeling!

btw, can someone tell me what does "ADD recordings" mean? Is it mono with additional added details? or?...

Rgds

post-11-1109066395.jpg

Edited by idkfa