Sign in to follow this  
fuwen

My favourite Chinese Classicals

Very few concerto written for Pipa after the very famous and good 'Little Sisiters of the Grass Land'. Strange enough no good recording in the market for this one (IMHO) even those by Liu De Hai. His recording with Seiji Osawa was horrible. Those with Chinese Orchestra from China also not very satisfactory although I had attended to his 2 live concert and he is just fatastic both in skills and showmanship. In fact the best recording I have is a record from the Singapore Radio Station of the live performance he made with SSO and Choo Hwee.

Here I am recommending a new work (not really that new was recorded in 1991) for Pipa the 'Sunset-Glow of Xishuang Banna'. I really like the first theme. Also in the same Hugo CD is the recording of another Pipa Concerto 'Lady Hua Mu-Lan'. These 2 concertos are accompanied by Chinese Orchestra. The Little Sisters in the Grass Land was written for Western Orchestra.

HRP 743-2

post-11-1133753274.jpg

Edited by fuwen

This is the Takako Nishizaki version that I have. I am a supporter for Nishizaki. In this SACD she presented a feminine and matured and sometime a rather free tempo of the Butterfly Lover. I guess she has been playing this for hundreds or thousands of time. Supporting orchestra and conductor were OK.

As for the Yellow River Concerto, also a very good soloist Yin Chengzong who was also one of the composers of the Yellow River.

I felt that the orchestra recordings were not as good as the above Hugo one.

Also this SACD provides a nice CD booklet, the cover picture is very nice, but for some reasons they forgot to include the tracks details. Also the Butterfly Lovers was cut into a single track.

Some of my discussions on Butterfly Lovers

http://www.fuwen.net/index.php?option=com_...d=77&Itemid=138

Edited by fuwen

sorry to OT a little, but where is a good place in sg where I can get chinese classical cds, and maybe some japanese classical ones also? thanks

My sis got this when we at SSO Children's Prom recently.

IPB Image

I haven't listen to other Butterfly Lovers cds before so i cant really tell whether this is good or not. plus i m ignorant on Chinese classical music.

Edited by petia

sorry to OT a little, but where is a good place in sg where I can get chinese classical cds, and maybe some japanese classical ones also? thanks

Can try Kah Heng (hope I spelt them correctly) at Bras Basar Complex, 2nd storey, the shop selling Chinese instrument. For Hugo label try New Disc Village at Aldephi.

Hi there, I do love all sorts of good music. Although I don't read Chinese( sad for a Chinese), I too love some Chinese folks and classical music.

I have a 1984 HK Records Co Ltd version of the "Butterfly Lovers" Violin Concerto by Takako Nishizaki, Nagoya Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Lim Kek-Tjiang, with additional 6 Chinese pieces by Nishizaki, accompanied by Seow Yitkin, the pianist. It was very good but I am not sure there were others surpassing this since.

Not long ago I acquired a China-made cd on the music from the 1980(?) CCTV production of the famous novel "Hung Lou Meng" (Dream Of The Red Chamber). The suprano was Wu Bi-Xia. It was a very engrossing piece of Chinese music and Ms Wu was just glorious. I wonder anyone come across it. The average recording was a bit highs-ended.

Then there was this 50th Anniversary Celebration Series Concert by the Central Philharmonic (China National Orchestra), 2006 TianXian Music Ltd. The compilation comprises quinessential Chinese classics, very well interpreted and played by the Central Philharmonic. My favourite was the first which is a Beijing opera piece with a good intricate-sounding lady voice. I can't read who the conductor was, but his control was disciplined and tight, bringing a very professional high standard to bear from the players. A very well balanced and professional world-class sounding orchestra indeed. Wonder anyone tried it.