Sign in to follow this  
clemo

DIY session

Good idea happy.gif Probably time and place will be the main problems...

Why don't use this forum as the cyber workshop ???

The main topics will be:

1. Basic electronics knowledge of audio components.

2. Basic electronics knowledge of audio circuits, in this case amplifier.

3. How to start DIY, tools, components, etc.

4. Basic Soldering.

My2Cents wink.gif

Need comments and advise from DIY Gurus here yes.gif

Guest drumma

i'm interested to learn!!! good if there is a demo live.. i really dunno what the gurus are talking in this forum.

only learnt that money talks.

only learnt that money talks.

You got it wrong man sleep.gif

Money talks for those who wants to collect collectible items such as rare and expensive amps and headphones. We do DIY because we want to achieve 'Low Cost High End'... Huangyong, I borrow your words tongue.gif

Because we don't have much money to spend for expensive headphone amp, that's why we try to make it ourself...

Sure we need some money to start with, but it can be minimum wink.gif

Guest drumma

hi bpribadi, saw the things u owned.. woot.. may i know ur age? w00t.gif

lol, sorry i out of point abit.. cos had no money to spurge on my ends stuff.. yeah, that's why i'm really interested in this DIY session.. will appreciate alot if some guru can organise one.. they mentioned of some DIY builders in SGH but also dun want to bother them too much because as mentioned, they got a life outside SGH.

lol, so what is the budget for a good portable headphone amp DIY-ed? i really love to DIY stuff. cheap and good. laugh.gif but dunno how to do headphone amps. wacko.gif

Edited by drumma

lol, so what is the budget for a good portable headphone amp DIY-ed? i really love to DIY stuff. cheap and good. laugh.gif but dunno how to do headphone amps.  wacko.gif

Depends on:

• what amp you choose to do
  • the components and features you want
  • how many mistakes you make
  • how cheaply you can get the components
  • who does the DIY (yourself=free laugh.gif)
  • cost of procurement of equipment (if you DIY and don't already have it)

Guest drumma

hmm.. oke.. back to the original thread..

anyone willing to organise a session pls let me know also ok? hehe.. thanks. kicking.gif

Yeah, DIY ROCKS!!!! party.gifparty.gif

Low Cost High End.......what i mean is perfomrance/price ratio wink.gif

DIY could be more expensive than buying the expensive amp out there.. ohmy.gif

just take a look at Dr. Gilmore's Amp.. w00t.gifw00t.gif

(FYI: he will use super expensive stuff for his amp)

Some DIYers recommend using the best components available to achieve the best sound possible; in the end, DIY amp can cost a BOMB.

Thus, understand the circuit first before you build. Then decide what component to be used at the right place in the amp.

You can probably put $50 Hovland Cap in your Power Supply, and i can guarantee that the performance won't be 10 times more than a $5 Solen Cap. yeah.gif

Next is to find out the sound charactersitics of different components. eg. Different Cap will sound different, according to audiophiles; I find it true after "enlightened" by our MASTER in the forum, Ramesih. Thanks.

Edited by huangyong

Thanks for the interest first,

Of course, since we noobs have little or no experience in DIY, we first need to start on soldering first, thus we certainly need our own little solder and stuffs. Once we have that sorted out. We can ask gurus to help us package a DIY kit which is of O.K. quality and skill for noobs.

Being gurus, their time should be more precious than our, so place and time fix by them. They can either sell us the kit with a slight profit margin or charge us a fee for the DIY session with kit at cost. With a win-win situation, everyone gains.

Right, solder is our main tool!

I would say, buy a fine tip solder, with power 30-40 watts. I guess the decent one will cost around S$ 20.- or less.

Being a family man, my time is more precious than money smile.gif Espescially for my son jump.gif

So I will be comfortable to support using this forum. That's what this forum for right ?

Cheers!

Bram

Our friend mukegile seems to hide himself happy.gif He is my tube guru wink.gif

Mukegile, could you please share your knowledge and skills?

Thanks!