Sign in to follow this  
clemo

DIY session

Slew rate. This is one of the most important factor. It is the ability of the amp to reach high voltage in the shortest time possible. The unit is volt/micro second. The higher the slew rate the better the imaging of the amp. With high slew rate op-amp, we can hear more seperation between the musical instruments and singers, and we can locate their position easily. 

In addition, higher slew rate denotes better control of output transducers (drivers). In the context of amp and speakers, this suggests bass handling capability ie, push-pull motion.

Edited by Mackie

Old Cmoy building thread

Interesting reading for those new to this forum and wish to build cmoys or any other diyed amps. Its a lot harder than it seems! tongue.gif (take note of how many people started building and how many finally succeeded)

Edited by av98m

It's seems like an every year CMoy season happy.gif

But we are a bit late this year, it started around September tongue.gif Let's see next year, if this CMoy hype rise again around the same time, then we can call it CMoy season biggrin.gif

Guest drumma

... those are lovely!!! so any gurus free to give a theory on DIY amps?! w00t.gif

haha... if you guys are really serious. i really might to it. maby a class of 3-5. i`ll get all the components, and we will see how far we get in 1 afternoon.

Have you actually ever built a working meta42/pimeta headphone amp? (someone had to ask this question)

yes i have. i have built many other amps and preamps too, i`m actually more tuned towards tubes.

haha... if you guys are really serious. i really might to it. maby a class of 3-5. i`ll get all the components, and we will see how far we get in 1 afternoon.

Have you actually ever built a working meta42/pimeta headphone amp? (someone had to ask this question)

yes i have. i have built many other amps and preamps too, i`m actually more tuned towards tubes.

Can have a DIY tube amp beginner class??

w00t.gifw00t.gif

I see that the BBamp (Big Ben) makes an appearance at the bottom of the first page. What a fine amp that was when i heard it at the previous meet. Its nice to see our little island being represented in head-fi tongue.gif

oops missed the second page...full of projects posted here by our dear Firefox!

haha... so fast want to play tubes liao arhZ?

we`ll start with the meta lah... can we do it after my exams? say somewhere in the first week of december?

Might i suggest for those starting their foray into diy also learn to make their own cables? Proper cable termination would be a 'good thing' to learn while u make yer amp. yes.gif

Ive seen quite a few very nice diy cables in here that can compare favourably against some of the more expensive brand name ones.