Rameish

How To Keep Those Interconnects Clean

use microfibre cloth please for cd lens - brand new. If the lens has fungus or mold you could try a small drop of Kodak lens cleaning liquid onto KodaK lens cleaning paper and very sparingly wipe the lens. Then use a fresh Kodak lens cleaning tissue to wipe off any dampness. Now! this is imp. You really do do this at your own risk as there's a high chance of damage if you have never done this or cleaned camera lens before.

I guess cotton buds and blower will be OK for your EMC but how to go about it for the A3?

U'll have to remove the cover. The lens is easily accessible but make sure power is off. Having laser shot up to your eyeballs is no joking matter. On a side note, exposed cdps are always covered by black protective papers when unattended on the production line. This helps to avert incidents caused by prying eyes and probing fingers.

cotton buds might scratch the lens. will it? Anyway, cotton buds are non-antistatic, so I don't really think it'd be a good idea. The rubbing might actually cause more dust to settle. I may be wrong, but so far my findings are so. I use a CD lens cleaner with antistatic burshes underneath. Matbon0013 has a antistatic brush(Same like the CD lens cleaer except this one instead of being stuck to a CD its stuck to a handle). I wonder where you can get that though. Oh yes, I've seen in popular a 6-bursh CD lens cleaner.

On the contrary, do not place too much confidence on so-called cd cleaner with anti-static brushes (pointing to the types mounted on a cd). The disc spins at high speed when play button is depressed and imagine the friction on the tiny lens at such a speed. It's ok on dvdp or cd-rom but I never use it on cdp. Unless times have changed, cotton buds and blower were the tools we used on the production line at Trio-Kenwood. This should suffice for general maintenance. Take note that only very light force should be applied on the lens via cotton buds to avoid scratches. Hand-held anti-static brushes are fine for this job but I reckon a blower is needed to complete the job. Never touch the brush for U'll deposit oil onto it and thence on the lens.

However, for real grimey cases, Rameish's idea should work and U'll also need a solution for that. I'm sceptical of those sold commercially but I reckon dedicated cleaning agent for LPs should work well with cd lens. Anyway, there's no reason for a lens to come to this state unless one has just stamped his fingerprint on it for fun. tongue.gif

i think we are going OT here. hee tongue.gif

anyway, how do u clean the lens when it is blocked by the transport? (mine does)

Switch the unit on. press open. swithc the unit off. Remove top cover. That should give you enough access usually

You risk damage if you are not careful - please use common sense.