Sign in to follow this  
ablaze

Where to buy good solder in singapore?

For cheap and good, look for Kester 63/37, which is avilable in alot of shops in SLT.

There's also a cheap 2% silver solder by Ashasi. Only $16.90 for a 500gm roll. But can't remember which shop in SLT has it.

wow. $16.90 for 500gm? that seems like hell of a deal! laugh.gif is it any good though? ohmy.gif

how much's the Kester 63/37? (there's no silver in it?)

wow. $16.90 for 500gm? that seems like hell of a deal!  laugh.gif is it any good though?  ohmy.gif

how much's the Kester 63/37? (there's no silver in it?)

Being using only the 500gm of Asashi ever since I started DIY. Well it's easy to work with, i.e. melt easily and flows very well. Also give peace of mind, coz your mind would think,"wah got silver leh"

I use the Kester at work, no silver though. Also very easy to work with and flows well..

But I don't know about the sound. Coz never bother to A/B them at all. Imagine, to A/B, either I have to make 2 pcs of the project or I have to desolder and solder on the new solder.. Quite impossible.. But so far I'm quite happy with using the Asahi.

k thanks jtfoo (ender right? wink.gif)

if you do remember where to get that cheapo asashi one, do post here and let me know smile.gif

is the Asahi solder the one on the bottom of the page

http://www.asahisolder.com/alloys_new.html

(its called HI-temp solder alloy?)

Yep, Ender is me.

I don't know whether mine is the Hi-Temp Alloy. But the printed on it is AG2%, so can relax and know it's there.

The shop is definitely in SLT, one of the upper floor,1st or 2nd floor. But they don't display it so got to ask.

Btw I made a mistake, it's actually only 200gm.. But still it's alot, I haven't finish my roll yet and I do alot of soldering including other amps and cables..

if looking for exotic solder - try well audio - burlington sq - wbt solder - robert of ahfart - wonder solder - dont know if he has cardas.

kester 44 is pretty decent and available at basement slt - next ot the escalator - look for the corner shop selling batteries and soldering stations - its got a counter that runs across the length of the shop -so its not the kind of shop that you can walk into - you do your purchases over the counter

tks yekim! I see this kester 44 being highly recommended. I'm actually going for stuff with a lil silver in it, for its supposed audio benefit..is the kester 44 favoured cos its easy to use, or cos it actually supposedly "sounds" good too?

hi, its easy to use - its flows easy and dries up easy and quick - less incidences of cold solder joints. as for sound, some people hear it some people dont - i remember buying a solder with some silver content from a shop in slt - sounded harsh to my ears - my first experience at 'listening' to the solder. personally i use kester 44 and wonder solder - i cant tell the difference between these 2 though - but i guess, with audio, just knowing youre using something good brings you that much closer to the music yes? rolleyes.gif