sayhitojason

Newbie - need help on head-fi setup

There have been people doing experiments on driving HD580 & 240DF using a M.F. A500 int amp, but i'm not sure whether the sound is as good as dedicated amps. Perhaps you could borrow some high impedance headphones to test on your YBA to see if the sound is acceptable.

user posted image

user posted image

The resistor in the image is mainly for protection and sound adjustment, as said by the people. If you could read chinese, here's the original post:

link

Hope it helps cool.gif

Hi, thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I'm what some would call a "potato", i.e. brown outside, but white inside. I can't read Chinese. Yes it's sad but true.

Is there any place else where I can get more info on where to buy/build one of those conversion cables? Any help provided will be much appreciated.

From the diagram, it looks simple enough:

4 wires --> resistor --> into some kind of headphone out socket plug. My guess is that the resistor is to add impedance to the line, so that the power from the speaker posts don't overwhem the headphones. It's just a guess from the name of the component (resistor = something to resist).

hi sayhitojason,

in the original post the resistor is used for (1) protection especially when you're using tube amp; (2) changing damping coefficience to adjust sound.

have you posted the question on head-fi? i cannot help more as never done this before:blush:

Thanks Voxel. I've decided to get a dedicated head-amp instead. Will save me all the trouble.

By the way Mackie, your input about the source in my hifi system was spot on. I took delivery of a Rega Planet today, and oh my gosh, the improvement is amazing! I believe it's not that the 63KI is bad, but I think it has to do with system matching.

The KI, YBA Integre DT and Triangle combo sounds a bit on the bright side. Very detailed, but the sibilance can be irritating at loud volumes and over extended periods.

With the Rega, everything became more balanced. The vocals and piano sounded more real. Plus I could hear other instruments on some songs better (previously, they were masked by the higher frequencies like cymbals etc).

The Rega had an IEC connector (the KI was stock without a detachable powercord). It so happened that I had a DIY Belden powercord with Hubbell & Wattgate. After plugging it in, the soundstage expanded! I couldn't believe my ears.

The whole exercise was an eye opener on how important the source is, and also how important system matching is. I am grinning from ear to ear!

Thanks!

I'm glad my analysis was spot on....phew! 63KI is not a bad player, on the contrary, it's good in its time and still so but it's just a different kettle of fish when U start looking at sources beyond S$1000 price bracket. May I know which belden power cord are U using on the Rega? Belden 19364 offers better soundstaging, layering and airness but at the expense of muddier/loser bass and also slightly laidback mid range. Belden 83802/03 tightens up the lower end significantly but slightly brighter in the upper spectrum while mid range is slightly more forward.

Edited by Mackie

I believe it is 19364. It's the black cable that is more flexible. 83802/03 is the orange cable that is very stiff correct?

When I replaced the powercord with the Belden, the soundstage improved, and I got more air. The base was more pronounced too. I didn't feel that the bass was muddier though, nor the laidback midrange. But what I found was that the Belden was a bit brighter than the stock powercord.

But then again, my setup is really unprofessional. For e.g. my belden is plugged to a powerstrip which costs S$15! Not enough wall socket. I have been contemplating of replacing the cables in the powerstrip with Belden cable. Don't know if it will help, but haven't gotten around to it.

The sonic traits about Belden 19364 mentioned earlier were made in relative terms to the 83802/3 (bright red cables). Standing as they are, 19364 is already a good power cord to start with. During my own experimentation, 19364 and 83802/3 works well in a combination. If U were to insert 83802/3 to your Rega, I'm sure U'll find the bass tighter, midrange more forward and treble a tad sharp and also a slight loss in airiness. It might not be suitable for U and henceforth, 19364 is a better choice for now. Another thing, sometimes greater high level details may be mistaken as brightness.

Before U splurge on "audiophile" extension sockets or power bars, swap the stock power cable of your existing power strip to a Belden 19364. It also works wonders as I've done it myself. U'll need to DIY yourself. Not too difficult I must say.

Edited by Mackie

Thanks Mackie. Yes, the 83802 is the bright red as you said. I saw it quite sometime back when I was at LHS (Sim Lim Tower).

I think I'll work on the powerstrip. It's really funny how the powercord makes so much difference. I mean afterall, the powercables running in the HDB walls can't be of good quality (especially considering that mine is a 19 year old flat). Really blows my mind.

For the powerstip, there will be smaller cables linking each individual socket to the main cable right? What do you replace these smaller cables with?

For the powerstip, there will be smaller cables linking each individual socket to the main cable right? What do you replace these smaller cables with?

The one I had were connected by copper plates. I suggest U take each step at a time. Just change the cable and hear for changes. If it's only slight, there's no point in changing the cables linking to each socket. However, if U're really keen to proceed with the latter, use any of the 3-core cables from the Belden cable.

Edited by Mackie