Sign in to follow this  
fuwen

Beethoven Violin Concerto op. 61

Although the 3 soloists finally agreed with Karajan, I remember reading somewhere that even for that recording Oistrakh and Ritcher did have quite a fair bit of disagreement and so much so that need Rostropovich and Karajan to come in between. Luckily that particular recording turned out fine and very good.

Do not quite understand your point on the A7 ascending chord (my music theory rusty already), do u mean the violin entry in the first movement? I believe Oistrakh interpretation should be consistant so I can compare using my mono Oistrakh with that of Heifetz.

Anyway I still think u can have more than one copy of the Beethoven, unless that A7 ascending chord really borders u (seems like from what u have said, so good for u lah can save some money biggrin.gif. Just the tempo variations u already can get different effect and also the different candazas, although I must admit that the best of all the candazas probably is the Kreisler one.

Hehe ! I like Oistrakh not just the correct feel of the entry A7 chord. His tone, his reading is the most important thing that rank him as a great virtuoso, of mine.

The pitch of a major scale between a full noote such as C->D and D->E of say Key C is not completely equal. And that's why some of the pieces is impossible on a piano ! The difference on a good minor key scaling is even more scary !

Oistrakh's opening chord on the 1st movement violin introduction, had clearly shown his indepth understanding of the composer's motif.... This is one of the most important clue to an artist at this level .

Try get a copy, if not laomao copy a CDR for you, you will understand why I say one would not need more than one copy of Beethoven's violin concerto after listening to this one !

Although the 3 soloists finally agreed with Karajan, I remember reading somewhere that even for that recording Oistrakh and Ritcher did have quite a fair bit of disagreement and so much so that need Rostropovich and Karajan to come in between. Luckily that particular recording turned out fine and very good.

Do not quite understand your point on the A7 ascending chord (my music theory rusty already), do u mean the violin entry in the first movement? I believe Oistrakh interpretation should be consistant so I can compare using my mono Oistrakh with that of Heifetz.

Anyway I still think u can have more than one copy of the Beethoven, unless that A7 ascending chord really borders u (seems like from what u have said, so good for u lah can save some money biggrin.gif. Just the tempo variations u already can get different effect and also the different candazas, although I must admit that the best of all the candazas probably is the Kreisler one.

Hehe... Oistrakh is Kreisler's favourite violinist

Hi! LaoMao, I think I got u but u very cheam leh! Are u a violist or string instrument player by training? I remembered discussing with friends, but very very long long time ago, that for example a C sharp and a D flat can sound different on a violin. But of course on a tuner they are the same. But I have long time did not borther about this until u reminded me of this. Let me try my Oistrakh recording. At this point of time Heifetz's one is still fine with me.

Edited by fuwen

OK, recommending this one with candazas by Joseph Joachim.

Soloist is Henryk Szeryng, supported by Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra conducted by Bernard Haitink.

Philips 442 398-2

The recording is good, the concerto well performed and very good support from the orchestra. Szeryng has a very perculiar vibrato that is quite different from the rest, more on the slow side, easily audible in this recording on his long notes. Like most of the soloist of Beethoven violin concerto out there he adopted a slower tempo for the first movement.

post-11-1103079857.jpg

Edited by fuwen

This is a very good recording by DG 447 403-2.

Wolfgang Schneiderhan's violin solo is well performed and full of energy. He is supported by very good Berliner Philharmoniker conducted by Eugen Jochum. Recording of the solo violin and the Orchestra is well balanced, IMHO.

Cadenzas used was from Beethoven, adapted for violin by Schneiderhan himself. Personally I prefer the cadenzas by Kreisler but I would consider this one of the better recordings with candezas by Beethoven.

post-11-1104209769.jpg

Edited by fuwen

Now my favourite Beethoven Violin Concerto by Heifetz in SACD format!

post-11-1109293208.jpg

Hmm. no mention of the beethoven played by Leonid Kogan? He was another great Russian violinist aound the time of Oistrakh. Though its abit hard to find his Cds now.

Another to consider might be the Live Beethoven concerto played by Perlman under Barenboim cool.gif

I do have a CD and a DVD of Leonid Kogan performing Beethoven Violin concerto. IMHO he is not as good as those I have recommended and Oistrakh, YMMV. Normally I would recomend only stereo recordings and I believe most of the people will enjoy more. My copy of Leonid Kogan is in mono recording. I guess only people who really understand this work will appreciate it in mono mode.

Finally got hold of a stereo copy of Beethoven Violin concerto by Oistrakh/Orch National de la Radiodiffusion France/Andre Cluytens. This is a CD/DVD set EMI 5-58029-0. Recorded in the DVD is the Spring Sonata in B&W of course.

Also manage at the same time got another 2 copies of Beethoven Violin Concerto new releases by Nikolaj Znaider/Isreal Phil/Zubin Mehta and Maxim Vengerov/LSO/Rostropovich.

post-11-1133752476.jpg

A nice live performance of Beethoven Violin Concerto by Perlman.[attachmentid=3493]

post-442-1152938018_thumb.jpg

Hi!

I didn't know there was a discussion on one of my favourite violin concertoes around here!

I personally have 10 copies of this violin concerto.

A few notable ones are the one by perlman, menuhin and schneiderhan.

Having listened to perlamn's 1981 version with maria giulini and the 1990s version with daniel barenboim, the 1981 version seems much more emotive, more passionate, while the 1990s one seemed to me as if he just wanted to get it over and done with. The 1981 version is btw my favourite among all recordings i've heard.

Although my favourite violinist is david oistrakh, i cannot bring myself to like his recording with the French orchestra in the "EMI Catalog #CDM7 69261 2 Beethoven and Bruch Violin concertos" recording. Does nto seem very involving to me.

I never liked any of menuhin's recordings post-1930s...the dip in his standard of playing was really shocking.

However, a 1947? recording (i think, i forgot, i need to dredge it out of my collection) with a green cover depicting him with wilhelm furwangler with the berlin philharmonic was....legendary. It encapsulated the tension of the World War, with a Jewish violinist collaborating with the (then) greatest German conductor and orchestra.

Schneiderhan's version with the Deutsche Grammaphone label was good...and it had the rare cadenza from the piano version of the concerto...but i guess i was just biased...haha...i just loved perlman's 1981 version with Maria Giulini too much.

your discussion on the beethoven concerto is so very intriguing.

the old masters are great but some time last year, gil shaham played with the SSO and he has quite the lovely sound, would anyone know if he's done a recording of beethoven concerto?

are you guys all string players?

I have one from Slovak Philharmonic Orchestra, soloist Ivan Czerkov. The recording was not fabulous tough