Sign in to follow this  
fuwen

Beethoven Violin Concerto op. 61

your discussion on the beethoven concerto is so very intriguing.

the old masters are great but some time last year, gil shaham played with the SSO and he has quite the lovely sound, would anyone know if he's done a recording of beethoven concerto?

are you guys all string players?

I do play violin quite a while ago but now very seldom already. I have a recording of Shaham on Beethoven Violin Concerto but was not very impress with it, but I have not listened many times.

I had written something on Beethoven Violin Concerto and about conductor Carlos Kleiber at my not so ready website www.fuwen.net. You guys can have a look if u are keen.

I can never understand why the Heifetz-Boston-Reiner recording is so lauded.

Felt Heifetz's version was simply like he was trying to get it over and done with.

bit off topic but just had to say that i just got a recording of david oistrakh performing the tchaikovsky violin concerto ....... makes all other violin concertos seem a distant memory i think.

*my hero*

Can't help joining in in praise of one of the greatest classical masterpieces of all time - Beethoven Violin Concerto. Wonder why he only wrote one. Maybe it is better to stand out among the classics! Maybe he wrote two-thirds of it. :)) Don't you think the last movement is quite a "disjoint" from the beauty and theme of the first two movements? Some commentators felt that Beethoven came perilously close to mediocrity in the last. The first two movements could stand on its own, like Schubert's "Unfinished Symphony" - it would be Beethoven's "Unfinished Concerto"! HaHaHa! Finished or unfinished, it remains a 'must hear' for all music lovers, generations after generations.

Anyway, I think Anne-Sophia Mutter version with the NY Philharmonic, conducted by Kurt Masur, a revealing piece among the many gilded recordings. Compared to her 1980 teenage-piece with the Berlin Phiharmonic under Karajan, the now beautiful lady played with maturity and self-confidence. There is a 2000 DG-label clarinet version by Michael Collins with the Russian National Orchestra, conducted by Mikhail Pletnev. It was coupled with the Mozart's Clarinet Concerto. It is worth a hearing. But the violin is still the king.

Just joined this forum and feel that I have missed the party! Perhaps my post will resurrect this thread.

I like the recordings of Nathan Milstein and Wolfgang Schneiderhan for the Beethoven concerto.

Anyone's heard the Nigel Kennedy version?

I have two of his version, one old recording and one quite recent. Have not really spent lots of time with both of his recordings. I would say no big problems, but his playing is not as refine in the fine details but does not affect overall musicality. Strange enough, we know he is a 'naughty' soloist but for this great violin piece his treatment to it is as serious as the other soloist, not like his Four Seasons (which I cannot really agree with him well : D)

post-442-1253523528.jpg

post-442-1253523547.jpg

Edited by fuwen

Latest addition to my collection:

post-442-1260616918.jpg

SACD is still my favourite audiophile format. This time accidentally I chanced upon this SACD recording of David Oistrakh's Beethoven violin concerto in stereo. My admirable soloist playing my favourite violin concerto in SACD format, so I straight away bought it online! This 1959 stereo concerto recording of EMI Classics was supported by French National Radio Orchestra, conducted by Andre Cluytens. CD booklet was all in Japanese, I supposed the recording was specially prepared for Japanese Audiophiles.

David Oistrakh interpretation and performance of the Beethoven violin concerto without surprise was very good. He was playing with a slower tempo typical of that era. Steady performance with very warm and rich vibrato. The orchestra gave very good support to the solo violin. The recording a bit biased towards the soloist. The final chord of the third movement was decisive.

http://www.fuwen.net/index.php?option=com_...=131&Itemid=197

post-442-1356922060.jpg