Sign in to follow this  
bpribadi

DIY Mini to RCA

Testing RG-179 mini coax for interconnect. The cable is braided from 4x RG-179. The RG-179 is mini coax for high fequency signal normally use in telecom industry. The conductor is silver plated cooper. Looks like the silver layer is quite thick, I hardly see the cooper part. I think the insulator (jacket) is either PTFE of PVC, and I found to be very good, can stand the heat of soldering iron very well, didn't melt of change form. headphone.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Thanks!

Yes, I braid it, and after that my fingers numb because the mini coax is pretty stiff biggrin.gif

OooH!!! Sexy!

Bram, did u attend some kind of knitting class before doing the cable laugh.gif

how u braid 4 wires? wacko.gif they look like steel chains wub.gif very nice, i must try it tongue.gif

Looks like some of my girlfriends' braids! And the terminations are so neat and pretty as well. Professionally done!

Thanks guys ! biggrin.gif

The connectors are OEM connectors I got from SLT basement. I forgot the shop name, but they are on display, so you don't have to go into the shop to look for the connectors.

I would like to share the 4 and 3 cables braiding techniques, it is just I don't know how to display the techniques in this forum happy.gif Probably later when I found how to draw it. I just imagined the technique, never learnt from any classes laugh.gif

You are right evil zen, it is 4 cables to the mini jack, and 3 cables to the RCA. In the Y junction I added another cable to make it 3+3 for the left and right channel RCA.

Digi, you got the point. Unfortunately I don't like the sound ohmy.gif

Probably the cable need burn in time.... sleep.gif But to me the sound lacks of dynamic. Probably it is because the RG-179 is high frequency cable, so it is heavily shielded for RFI & EMI protection. As we know, bare naked cable, not shielded, normaly has better dynamic, but when your handphone ringing you will hear ''dut.. dut.. dut.." sound in your music laugh.gif . To me the cheap normal Daiyo interconnects has better dynamic compare to this cable tongue.gif

If budget permit, I would like to try it again with PC-OCC silver wire cool.gif This time it is going to be bare naked wires, not shielded party.gif

Edited by bpribadi