Sign in to follow this  
av98m

A peek inside the Rotel RCD-991

user posted image

A look at the exterior, I forgot to take a photo of the back(which basically have 1 set of rca outputs, 1 set of balanced outputs, and digital out, which can be turned off via a switch also located at the back. there is also an iec for you to plug in your own powercord, unusual for Rotel)

user posted image

Overhead view of the inside

user posted image

Gold plated sockets installed for opamp rolling

user posted image

OPA627BP opamps (slurrrp) waiting to replace the stock OPA2604 and NE5532 opamps

user posted image

Close-up of one of the browndog mounted twin OPA627BPs.

user posted image

OPA627BPs installed in the analog out put section.

user posted image

The 2 big Nichicon Great Supply reservoir caps. Notice the Wimas and Blackgates nearby. There are roughly 20+ Blackgates capacitors in this player, all surrounded by the red Wimas.

user posted image

21 generic nichicon caps located in non-critical areas of the player were replaced with low-impedance Panasonic FCs. You can see some of them in the picture. No other replacement was done as the player is already filled with Wimas, Blackgates, Nichicon's top-of-the-line Muse KZs(in the analog output stage) and a few Finegolds.

The RCD-991 is a fine player, even in stock form, and for the build and parts quality, a real bargain at between 500 to 800 bucks in the local used market. A current model player with similar build quality will cost a lot more than that. Its a great way to get high end performance and build at a fraction of the price.

Caps and ic socket installment was done by resident mad-modder Firefox

Edited by av98m

Cool!!! party.gif Very nice and neat mod thumbup1.gif

You have a very solid music gear! Rotel is always a good bargain, performance/price ratio always good so far smile.gif

Where did you get those blackgates and finegolds nichihon?

The blackgates and nichicon finegolds, muse kz are the original stock caps, they already come with the player straight out from the factory. The only caps that do not belong to the player originally are the panasonic FCs wink.gif

Edited by av98m

The built quailty of the rotel CD players are excellent and value for money. When I tried to mod my RCD1070, I was surprise to see a huge number of high end black gates , panny FC caps all over. So nothing much left to change on the cap side, except the output ac coupling cap, which I changes to from Panny electrolytic to solen polypropylene cap.

The blackgates and nichicon finegolds, muse kz are the original stock caps, they already come with the player straight out from the factory. The only caps that do not belong to the player originally are the panasonic FCs wink.gif

Correction, we added some Elna RJH (105 degree) caps as well. These are more expensive varients of the Panasonic FC. The caps that the Panasonic FC and Elna RJH replaced were Nichicon VX (M) 85 degree type. The thang abt the Rotel RCD-991 and the later AE varient is the "worst" cap in the cdp are the Nichicon VX.

Also in addition to the many Wima MPX10 caps (16 I think) there are the higher grade polyproplene Wima FKZ (small green caps at the output stage).

Next stage is to play with the 5 volt regulation, have a seperate clock with it's own power supply...Muhahaha!

BTW austin, I advise getting a heat sink for the 5 volt regulator at the digital side (funny how rotel left that out).

Ah yes, forgot about those. Heatsink, clock and powersupply....hey you left out replacing the finegolds with sanyo oscons muhahahahaa! tongue.gif Did you install a heatsink for the 5 volt regulator in your 991?

Edited by av98m

Not yet austin, was busy all week painting the case for my dad's headphone amp (his birthday present). Plus it's school hols and I have my neices over and my daughter! Anyways, after seven or eight coats of paint and 2 coats of clear finish I'm done. It's in my favourite colour - agent orange!

Yeah will need to heat sink that damn regulator on the digital side.