Sign in to follow this  
fishball79

Replacing Grado headphone wires?

I know only the RS series uses better cables. And as you can see thru the grill and the soldered on wires, I wonder if its easy to pick apart the plastic case so we can swap cables...

As Grado cans are hand made im pretty sure they could be taken apart without damaging the plastic case...

What do you guys think? Anyone brave enough to open up their cans to give it a go? I tried opening mine but its held on pretty tight.

Fishball,

Actually the SR-325, RS-2 and RS-1 have the better Grado cables. The SR=125 upwards have them in the voice coil as well.

As for anything else, it's your headphone :-)

Thanks antess,

How come no one in that mod page changed their wires? I've ordering a length of very good copper wires so am thinking of waysto use em. After making 2 pairs of interconnects, speaker cables, rewiring of speakers, cdplayer and power cord i still got alot left laugh.gif

For my particular pair of cans (sr225) has good voicecoil wires but not the wiring so i'm thinking of changing it. Maybe plug out the sr225 plastic badge as well, that definitely affects the sound...

Mine would probably end up with a twisted pair of transperant copper wires sticking out of the cans and then maybe braided together before terminated with a large stereo plug. Even if the sound don't improve much, its a pretty mod!

For what's its worth it'll look pretty laugh.gif Sad thing is even if they sound good u guys won't be able to hear em sad2.gif

Fish,

I think it's because Grados (even the cheaper ones) come with pretty good cables to start with and it's hardwired to the transducer. I really don't know if changing it would affect the sound for the better or worse. Post pictures anyway. The 225 are Grados most laid back cans. I kinda prefer them to the SR-325 (taking price into consideration of course).

Rameish,

blink.gif Most laid back? I find them pretty exciting! Damn and i bought these particular models partly cos headphone.com says they are rocker's cans! Damn marketing blurb...

Which cans do you think rocks best?

Would you know how good are the cables exactly? Maybe after modding i'll terminate the old cables into interconnects and sell to hard core grado fanatics eh? yeah.gif

Well I've never tried testing the cables in other situations so I dont know for certain.

Of all the Grado cans the SR-325 seems to have the fastest tempo (the tempo actually doesn't change but you preceive it that way). But since you already have the 225 go for the RS-1 LOL.

Antess,

Thanks for the link!

Ramiesh.

Heh that'll be nice but I'm not rushing for it...

Right now enjoying the Aego 2s... nice sub/sats

Edited by fishball79