fuwen

iPod Shuffle

Was trying to get an iPod Shuffle and as expected out of stock and long waiting list. The salesman claimed that the performance of Shuffle is best in the iPod family. I have doubt that this small little thing (literally the size of a thumb drive) can out perform its big brother.

Any body in this forum lucky enough to get hold of one already?

The salesman must have been high on something. I think this one answers the prayers of those who want to listen to mp3s while running or working out but are afraid of ruining their hardisk based ipods from subjecting them to excessive movement. The low price point also allows those on a lower budget to climb onboard the ipod bandwagon. tongue.gif

Interestingly enough, in an interview, Mr Sim, owner of Creative says that the ipod shuffle is a step back for Apple because the product is something that Creative did 5 generations ago if i recall correctly.

It was amusing reading posts encouraging people to paste a stick-it note over their ipods' display to get their own version of the iPod shuffle. It's indeed a step backwards in technology IMO, but with Apple's track record in marketing and ease of use of products, I guess it should be a hit, at least amongst the many iPod fanboys and trend followers.

There's nothing new or impressive about it, but it'll sell like hotcakes. Apple has Creative creamed in the branding and marketing department, thats for sure.

Looks like something I would probably buy, damn cute. How much does the 1G version cost?

http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/specs.html

Edited by N@Z

Looks like something I would probably buy, damn cute. How much does the 1G version cost?

512kB version listed S$178

1G version listed S$268

not sure SLQ can get at cheaper price or not.

I think need another 3-4 weeks before stock arrives.

Edited by fuwen

Buying an iPod is not longer much about the specs or functions....it's more like buying a lifestyle.

Or rather being part of the hype and the "hipster" factor?

It has no screen but I bet it will sell just as well..

creative has got some way to go in terms of their designing department. They should just seriously higher some top notch designers who can churn out very sleek looking players and they might be able to grab more of the market share. Currently the creative mp3 players are functional and quite loaded with features but the appearance and cool factor isn't quite there yet(compared to apple's).

if im not wrong, s'pore out of stock for 2 mths and there's a fricking long pre-order list.

Apple IS selling a lifestyle. They turned a random playlist into something thats cool and unique, like av98m said, i think it will appeal to the gym/sports fanatics. I guess Steve Jobs just kept his place for another term with the intro of the Mini Mac and Shuffle. From what i read, there wasn't much hype at the CES during the launch of he Shuffle, rather is the Mac fanatics that 'blow' the thing up. For that price and bang for buck on memory size, it is actually pretty worthwhile. Do remember. Jobs did write off flash based players before.

One more thing, I kinda of drawn to the idea of having a Mac mini mounted in a car, it fits the stereo deck, wondered if the guys at apple were thinking of that in the design, but the price is still expensive for that spec.

Edited by augustineRS

Yeah, one of sim wong hoo's problems is that all his players are really fugly compared to the ipods. The man needs to hire a new designer. Whether he likes it or not, most consumers care about form factor and branding/image. He can keep insisting that creative's products are superior while consumers vote with their dollars and steve jobs laughs his way to the bank.

i got my hands on 1 .. using it as i am typing this .. keke

as i dont have another ipod to compare sound quality with, all i can comment on is that to me it sound great with my E2s....

Edited by Paris