fuwen

iPod Shuffle

Pre-Order Info

I have pre-ordered the 1GB Ipod Shuffle last weekend and the goods will be in by the end of the month, as claimed by the staff. BTW, if you do order from Apple Centre @ Orchard, you will get a free limited edition T-shirt.

Apple IS selling a lifestyle. They turned a random playlist into something thats cool and unique...

And hence Apple's marketing ingenuity. Seriously, I don't see anything "cool" or "unique" with a random playlist, it's standard on most, if not all, flash-based players and DAPs. Basically marketing hype (selling a lifestyle, revolutionising the way people listen to music and all), besides the sleek design and Itunes which does actually add to the experience. YMMV.

The iPod has no screen, so people argue that they're glad it doesn't have screen, they don't need it because Apple says "life is random". If there were a screen, the exact same people would say the screen is essential because Apple says "life at your control". At its current price, people say everyone can afford it. If it were priced $50 higher, people would still say the price is great. If it used firewire, people would say that's because USB2 sucks. But it uses USB, so the same people praise how USB is universal and more practical. If it were drag/drop from iTunes rather than used playlists from iTunes, people would say that's cool because you can use it anywhere without iTunes. But it doesn't, so people praise its integration and auto-fil. If it used rechargable AAA batteries, people would say yay Apple and glorify Apple's environmental friendliness. But because it doesn't use a removable battery, the same people say that's why the device is good.

I kind of agree with this, it's amusing how people (fanboys to be exact) con themselves into believing what they want to think. I am an iPod owner myself so I don't think I qualify as an "iPod-hater", but the iPod Shuffle just doesn't appeal to me, except perhaps as a gift for others firstly because it is cheaper than other flash-based players, and secondly, because it is an "iPod".

Edited by Absolute0

Yes! Fanboys was the word i was looking for. i was contemplating Mac-natics...

i think random playing is even available on cd players.

I'm not anti mac or anything(hell, i even changed my windows into a Mac OS interface)

but this shuffle is way overrated, but SWH comments were abit uncalled for, i was actually suprise by some of the words he used. sound more like a sore competitor(not loser, yet)

anyway, those who get, enjoy it! for the size and design, it is a pretty neat gadget.

I own a 20GB Ipod, and I'm interested in the Ipod shuffle purely as a player to use while exercising. Not an Ipod fanatic or anything, but where else to find 512MB player at such a low price? At $178, you can at best get a 256MB creative player or a 128MB Iriver.

While exercising I don't need to look at a display screen or to choose a song. So its simplicity fits its function. The only problem now is that I can't bring it to work cos my company bans thumbdrives.

While exercising I don't need to look at a display screen or to choose a song. So its simplicity fits its function. The only problem now is that I can't bring it to work cos my company bans thumbdrives.

OT: This is becoming more & more of a problem isn't it? The future use of thumb/pen drives are also hanging on the balance at my work place.

I can't even get into some places with my portable hardisk, unless they scan it (which btw will take more than 1 hour). Go figure. So far thumbdrives are still ok for me. How the heck they expect us to carry large amounts of data from place to place without these devices is beyond me. dry.gif

Edited by av98m

I work in the defence industry, so a lot of hightech toys are not allowed. PDAs, any phones with cameras, thumbdrives, harddrives, CD-Rs, diskettes, and so on. Lucky thing I convinced the security branch to let me use my IPOD on the way to work, as long as I don't bring the USB cable. Last time someone brought a CD player with a CD-R inside and the poor guy got into trouble because of the CD-R.

Everytime I read about the latest phones and the 3G revolution I sigh... all of us here are still stuck with old technology.

Heh, the irony isn't it? wink.gif Esp taking into account the fact that anyone with the intent to remove sensitive data will quite easily defeat whatever security check is in place anyway. When I was serving my country in a *cough* secure installation we found it very easy to *cough* bring contraband(in our case, computer games)in as long as we *cough* showed up before a certain time. *cough* tongue.gif

Edited by av98m

I've just recieved my 1GB iPod Shuffle from Apple Centre Orchard and had a quick listen to it and I must say that it sounds pretty good (paired with Panny RPHJE50; encoded at 192kbps) compared to the portable audio players/earphones combo I normally use:

CD Player (Red Book Playback) :

Sony D-NE10 with Panasonic RPHJE50/Sony EX70

MD Players (encoded in LP2):

Sharp MD-MT888 with Sony EX70

Sharp MD-DS8 with Sharp MD-33 (can't recall exact model #)

Sharp MD-ST770 with Sony EX70

Mobile Phone (MP3 encoded at 128kbps):

Mitsubishi M900 with supplied earphones

Arguably, it's not a fair apple-to-apple comparison (no pun intended), however, comparing the different portable sources, including the various audio formats, the iPod Shuffle did fair well and could possibly hold itself amongst them.

Looks like the stock comes pretty fast. I was thinking to wait or to order one. My intention is to encode music in WAVE format and then let it fight with the MF A3 and the SA 14 on my speaker system!